Should first time Drink drivers be spared a criminal record?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Routemaster

Should first time drink driving offenders be waived a criminal record if they:

1) complete a DD awareness course.
2) were fully compliant with police, courts etc.
3) were less than one and a half tines over the limit. (less than 52.5 mg of breath)
4) had a clean criminal record before the DD offence.
5) can show how a criminal record could affect their job career, life etc.
6) can provide good character references from several sources.

I emphasise that this amnesty should ONLY be available to FIRST time drink driving offenders.

The reason why I support this is because the criminal record is the most damaging part of being caught drink driving. Its ironic that offenders have driven a car over the limit yet can attend a course and be allowed to drive again after 9 months, but are barred from any careers such as teaching, health care, working in a bank or building society for life. They are banned from these careers even though they do not involve driving at all.

What are your opinions?

Should first time drink driving offenders be waived a criminal record if they:

1) complete a DD awareness course.
2) were fully compliant with police, courts etc.
3) were less than one and a half tines over the limit. (less than 52.5 mg of breath)
4) had a clean criminal record before the DD offence.
5) can show how a criminal record could affect their job career, life etc.
6) can provide good character references from several sources.

I emphasise that this amnesty should ONLY be available to FIRST time drink driving offenders.

The reason why I support this is because the criminal record is the most damaging part of being caught drink driving. Its ironic that offenders have driven a car over the limit yet can attend a course and be allowed to drive again after 9 months, but are barred from any careers such as teaching, health care, working in a bank or building society for life. They are banned from these careers even though they do not involve driving at all.

What are your opinions?

Whilst I understand what you are saying I do not agree that there should be any amnesty for first time offenders. Drink driving is a serious offence which has resulted in many deaths over the years, this must therefore be reflected appropriately. To suggest that they receive no criminal record would in turn suggest that the offence is not serious. First time offenders already benefit from a reduced disqualification upon completion of the drink driving awareness course.

A criminal record affects anyone who has committed a criminal offence. Why are drink drivers any different?

How far should the law go before it becomes a criminal record? Well already a person can blow up to 39, 10% over the legal limit, and the police take no further action. Up to a reading of 50, there is still the opportunity of opting for a blood or urine sample where there is the opportunity of a delay working in a persons favour to get back down under the limit (although the time factor often does not allow the reading to come down far enough)
These facts, coupled with England having the highest legal limit in Europe, - most countries now have a legal limit in breath of 22 in breath - , leads me to believe that a criminal record in appropriate for a Conviction for drink driving.

I agree with you. and enough witch hunting! i know its wrong, but we all do mistakes. if you read the statistics, a lot less ppl died due to drink driving drivers, than, speeding, using mobile phone etc... but there is a curse on us now, and remember, some even didnt commit the offence, like whet to move the car 5 cm, etc....

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off