Got my licence back

Convicted Driver Insurance

Surreygirl83

So hi. This is my first time posting on this forum, though I have been reading it for a while. I just wanted to write a quick post about my experience and hope it might help at least one other person out there.

I was stupid, and got caught drink driving 2 years ago and got an 18 month ban. It was silly. I won't go in to the full on details, but I blew 77 in to the machine and it felt like my life had come crashing down around me!! Well 20 months after my ban, and the time had actually flown by. I had received the reminder letter in the post ages ago, but thought to myself that I wasn't ready to take the test. The reason being that I had spent the past 20 months going out more and drinking more than I should have done. The realisation that I should take the test hit when speaking to friends, I then decided to abstain from alcohol for as long as it took. I went out for three months, but didn't have a drop at all. I booked my test after two months of not drinking. When I went to the doctors (in the third month) i couldn't believe of what I was afraid of. The Dr was nice and to the point. Asked sensible questions, and was reassuring. When I told her I had not had a drink in three months, she asked why, I was upfront and said because I wanted my licence back. She took two samples of blood, checked around my abdomen and that was it. Then the wait!!!!!!! I had read online that it would take ages to get my licence back......but LESS than ONE WEEK later, my licence came back through the post. :)

i am so happy to have it back. Thank you to the people on here for posting your stories :)

SurreyGirl83
xx

Hi Surrey girl just a quick question why did you have to have the medical as you only blew 77 or is it 2nd time in 10 yrs also when did you have the medical i had mine on 15th Dec and still waiting results well done getting your licence back

A 77 was twice the legal limit for a breathalyser in the UK at the time.

Mine was in November, so maybe it could be a delay because of the holidays. Apparently the average wait is 6 weeks, so hopefully you not have to wait too much longer :-D
x

Are you sure your reading was 77? The reading that triggers a medical for a first time offence has always been 2.5 times the legal limit or above, so 87.5 or more, unless you have a second conviction in 10 years. As Flynno said, 77 does NOT require a medical.....

Are you sure your reading was 77? The reading that triggers a medical for a first time offence has always been 2.5 times the legal limit or above, so 87.5 or more, unless you have a second conviction in 10 years. As Flynno said, 77 does NOT require a medical.....

Hi price1367 didn,t think that was right a medical for a 77 thanks for the info Surreygirl hopefully will hear soon though i do have a concern which price1367 may be able to help with since my medical when i go on DVLA website and do a licence check before it showed conviction date court banned till etc now when i check it says only the licence holder may view his licence so concerned i,ve dissapeared off the face of the earth or worse won,t be getting licence back. last time i spoke to them said medical was faxed across 29th Dec and been told could take up to 8 weeks makes me wonder why i went for the reduction if it,s going over stated date

Last edited:
Flynno,
the only time I have seen that is when an incorrect number has been put in. If yours WAS right I do not know why that message appeared.
were you banned before 1st June 2013, to take advantage of driving under S88?

Hi was definately the right number so don,t know whats going on unless they haven,t updated the website. No i got done in October 2013 so can,t drive until a decision is made on the medical just have to sit and sweat some more i guess

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off