Closure - and thank you

Convicted Driver Insurance

helen4476

So, six days ago I had my medical and today I got my license back after medical results came back all ok. Blummin' quick turnaround - I am nearly impressed with the DVAL ;)

The feeling for me is overwhelming. I am so relieved. I cannot begin to put into words how I am feeling. I was caught on 4th March 2011 and its been a long (almost) four years. I can now draw a line and move on with my life.

For almost four years I could feel people judging me and in some cases treating me like I am the scum of the earth. And now I can hold my head up again.

I started using this forum only within the last three months and its been an absolute life line for me. I have learnt more here (such as CDT replacing LFT - which I had to educate my Doctor in).

The vast majority of people I have come across here at the same as me - deeply remorseful about the actions of drink driving, but there is such an online support network here. For all those who have posted, thank you so much because its a huge comfort to know others are in the same boat. People on here are there to support, advise and share their own experiences. You may not realise that your posting helps, but honestly it does. .

I am hoping to continue to contribute here and give something back to a website that has given me so much.

This is not about me gloating about getting my license back - its about saying thank you and knowing we are all in the same boat and therefore helping one another.

Helen

So, six days ago I had my medical and today I got my license back after medical results came back all ok. Blummin' quick turnaround - I am nearly impressed with the DVAL ;)

The feeling for me is overwhelming. I am so relieved. I cannot begin to put into words how I am feeling. I was caught on 4th March 2011 and its been a long (almost) four years. I can now draw a line and move on with my life.

For almost four years I could feel people judging me and in some cases treating me like I am the scum of the earth. And now I can hold my head up again.

I started using this forum only within the last three months and its been an absolute life line for me. I have learnt more here (such as CDT replacing LFT - which I had to educate my Doctor in).

The vast majority of people I have come across here at the same as me - deeply remorseful about the actions of drink driving, but there is such an online support network here. For all those who have posted, thank you so much because its a huge comfort to know others are in the same boat. People on here are there to support, advise and share their own experiences. You may not realise that your posting helps, but honestly it does. .

I am hoping to continue to contribute here and give something back to a website that has given me so much.

This is not about me gloating about getting my license back - its about saying thank you and knowing we are all in the same boat and therefore helping one another.

Helen

VERY,VERY Happy for you! That didnt take long for dvla to get your blood test results back at all did it? You did it last tuesday the same as me right?

Well done, and enjoy! Im hoping my is all good too. how long did you not drink for before your medical again? im sure you said and ive forgot lol.

Congratulations again!

the doctor asked when i last drank 7 weeks ago, how many units of alc did i have, i said 2-4 units that weekend. i hope this hasnt caused for concern

Helen

hi Helen , I am due my medical next week on Monday , do you not do the lft test anymore? , I had a lft off my gp about 2 weeks ago , I spoke to doctor today he said that the are all higher than normal value but only border line high ? by the time I have medical the last time I had a drink would of been 16days , I had 2 pints with dinner 2 small glasses of champagne and one more pint , the weekend before that I had 3 beers and about the same before weekend before , I know that these are above daily allowance but It is far from a binge or uncontrolled drinking , due to nature of my job there has been times I haven't drank for about three months , I wont lie I have had a good few times throughout the year where I have been drunk and had a fair bit eg watching footall in pub etc ? what do you think? will I be ok and what sort of questions do you get asked in medical

kind regards

ally

hi Helen , I am due my medical next week on Monday , do you not do the lft test anymore? , I had a lft off my gp about 2 weeks ago , I spoke to doctor today he said that the are all higher than normal value but only border line high ? by the time I have medical the last time I had a drink would of been 16days , I had 2 pints with dinner 2 small glasses of champagne and one more pint , the weekend before that I had 3 beers and about the same before weekend before , I know that these are above daily allowance but It is far from a binge or uncontrolled drinking , due to nature of my job there has been times I haven't drank for about three months , I wont lie I have had a good few times throughout the year where I have been drunk and had a fair bit eg watching footall in pub etc ? what do you think? will I be ok and what sort of questions do you get asked in medical

kind regards

ally

Hi Ally

First of all I am no expert on any of this

The liver functionality test has been replaced with CDT, which as far as I understand is to check short term alcohol abuse. I have read somewhere that says along as you stay in your weekly unit gender allowance you should be ok. However, I took the decision to stop drinking for almost a month before I had my medical and my results came back ok. I dont know if there is anything else that would show in your blood that would prevent the return of your license.

With regards to the questionnaire, here is a link that you can have a look at https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/319798/DR1.pdf and this is the same as what you will complete with the doctor (as you cannot fill it in before hand). If you choose to bend the truth on some of these questions thats up to you - but be aware any blatent lies will show up in your blood. You will also have your liver felt (a damaged liver will hang slightly lower from your rib cage). I also had an eye test. My weight, height and blood pressure were taken. Dont worry if your blood pressure is a little higher than normal as you are bound to be a bit nervous.

If I were you, play it safe and stay away from the booze until after your medical. If you havent had a drink for 16 days then you should be ok - but I am no expert.

Good Luck

Good

the doctor asked when i last drank 7 weeks ago, how many units of alc did i have, i said 2-4 units that weekend. i hope this hasnt caused for concern

If you havent drunk for 7 weeks I would be amazed if they found any evidence of short term abuse with that. 2 units is the DAILY allowance for a female so considering you only had 2 units that weekend, I would say thats safe.

Helen

Hi Helen. Splendid news on the return of your license, congratulations! I agree about this forum being a vital support tool, its a lonely place sometimes and almost sadistically, it is reassuring to know that others have made similar mistakes and are living through the consequences.

The loss of my license has decimated my social life, at times confidence, seriously damaged my career and severely dented emigration hopes, that is the reality of it. But, I am now a mere 24 hours away from its return and I feel on top of the world. There is hope. I have to wait until Monday when my car gets put through its MOT so a little more time yet before I'm back on the road.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off