DVLA response to complaint

Convicted Driver Insurance

Peter L

Hi,

I recently put in an official complaint to the DVLA about the length of time it has taken to process and grant my licence, and I thought I would briefly summarise what they replied with, as I think they must have realised that the system was not working as it should.

I sent my application off on the 31st June, 8 weeks before my 12 months alcohol abstinence was up (after dependency), and eventually, after doctor's input, medical etc., got a 1 year licence dated from 18/11/14. Whether or not my intervention speeded up the process is unclear, as I only complained earlier this month, but I just wanted something put down on record.

Basically they had sympathy with my position, and apologised for the time taken. However, as I thought, they were putting this down to the information they had to gather and review etc etc. Also the heavy workload in the Medical Department was blamed.

So what's happening now?

1. They have introduced a new process to consider the initial action on all new applications within a few days of receipt.
2. Additional caseworkers and Medical Advisors have been employed and new processes introduced to speed up the time taken to review information.
3. The Government is in the process of changing the law to allow licences which are valid for longer in certain circumstances, to drivers with medical conditions.
4. Longer term they are considering online and IT solutions to improve access and decision making.

That's all the detail I have, and some of it does sound a bit 'woolly'. I hope things do improve for people that are going through all this. I am driving again after more than 5 years, and loving it.

Best wishes,

Peter.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off