1 month COMPLETLY FREE from Alcohol - too early to take Medical?

Convicted Driver Insurance

jsuthers7

Hi everyone, you might have seen me posting on here quite abit latly. as i am as eager to get my license back as much as you all are.

i was wondering if anyone knew what my options are, ive just received my letter from the dvla giving me the dvla GP details and that i should contact them within 21 days to book a medial. now, i haven't touched a single drop of alcohol in exactly a month today.

therefor was thinking to give them a ring and book this thing and get it out the way so i can get on with my life and enjoy driving again! i was thinking to maybe ring them tomorrow morning and book it for Friday. that way i will have 5 weeks of no alcohol what so ever.

just wondered if this was a sensible thing to do, or weather its too soon to chance it and maybe give it a few more weeks! i actually feel really proud of myself, ive still been going out nearly every weekend with friends and seem them do the most stupidest things while drunk and while im completely sober. (i have the last laugh in the morning though ha-ha)

anyway would appreciate any responses from people who have gone through similar ordeals or people who have the knowledge.

thanks guys
(sorry for my no-caps punctuation my keyboard cap key decided to stop working!)

So long as you had not been drinking excessive amounts for a while before you stopped, your timescale should be OK. But, it may be longer than that, don't count on getting an appointment for 'next Friday'. Some on here report having to wait 2 weeks or more just for the appointment......

So long as you had not been drinking excessive amounts for a while before you stopped, your timescale should be OK. But, it may be longer than that, don't count on getting an appointment for 'next Friday'. Some on here report having to wait 2 weeks or more just for the appointment......

Ok mate. well really depends on what you mean when you say excessive. think i stated it in another thread, i do drink (before my month off) every saturday and have about 9 cans. and the 2 days before i started my detox i had about 9 cans but since then not a single drop. I Was under the impression that maybe people who drink excessive amounts everyday for long periods of time would be under more of a risk of a higher reading than 2.2%

I Will ring them tomorrow and get it booked as soon as possible then. im hopinh my 9 cans every weekend isnt still sitting in my blood after such along time off the stuff.

Last edited:
The problem really lies with alcOhol dependency, and whilst your 9 cans is outside the guidelines, and would class as a 'binge', it is not a dependency. You should be OK.
Good luck, let us know how it is going.

The problem really lies with alcOhol dependency, and whilst your 9 cans is outside the guidelines, and would class as a 'binge', it is not a dependency. You should be OK.
Good luck, let us know how it is going.

You put my mind at ease, thanks price. although everyone's body is different and i will have to wait and see the results!
one last thing if you dont mind me asking, how do i pay the medical fee as they didnt state it on the letter, it just said that i had to pay the doctor but didnt say what payment method.

and yes i will definatly keep posting my progress. im sure it is helping others as this thread alone had near 30 views already !

Check when you phone up for the appointment. Some doctors want a deposit when you phone, so have a credit or debit card ready when you call.
others accept payment on the day, in cash, others take card payments.
the fee seems to vary between £95 and £115, mostly towards the bottom end of that bracket.

Check when you phone up for the appointment. Some doctors want a deposit when you phone, so have a credit or debit card ready when you call.
others accept payment on the day, in cash, others take card payments.
the fee seems to vary between £95 and £115, mostly towards the bottom end of that bracket.

thank you so much. enjoy the rest of your sunday evening!

Good luck with the medical whenever you decide to take it bud

Thanks alot mate.

just a quick update. ive rang up the doctor and my appointment is for next Tuesday (25th November) at 9am. that was the nearest available date.

which is not bad in my opinion. gives me another week and weekend to completely abstain from alcohol which is probably in my favour!

i have to bring my gp details with me - name, address etc.
a form of i.d (passport, bill etc)
and a fee of £97.50

feel really good that this time has finally come.
think im gonna go jogging everyday from now just to feel good in myself and hope for the best.
will keep everyone posted on/after the medical day.

cheers guys.

Thanks alot mate.

just a quick update. ive rang up the doctor and my appointment is for next Tuesday (25th November) at 9am. that was the nearest available date.

which is not bad in my opinion. gives me another week and weekend to completely abstain from alcohol which is probably in my favour!

i have to bring my gp details with me - name, address etc.
a form of i.d (passport, bill etc)
and a fee of £97.50

feel really good that this time has finally come.
think im gonna go jogging everyday from now just to feel good in myself and hope for the best.
will keep everyone posted on/after the medical day.

cheers guys.

Same date and time as mine :)

As far as I know you cant have the medical done on a Thursday or Friday otherwise the blood sits for the weekend and cant be properly analysed.

My medical cost me £98 and I had to pay in advance by cheque but I know prices vary depending on whether that doctor is VAT registered or not.

Although I dont drink during the week due to my job, I have stayed clear for 3 weeks so whilst I am not walking in there confidently expecting to sail through, I just hope I will be ok. My ban finished September 2012 but have only just got around to sorting my medical out.

I just want this whole thing out of the way so I can stop beating myself up and get back to some normality.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Same date and time as mine :)

As far as I know you cant have the medical done on a Thursday or Friday otherwise the blood sits for the weekend and cant be properly analysed.

My medical cost me £98 and I had to pay in advance by cheque but I know prices vary depending on whether that doctor is VAT registered or not.

Although I dont drink during the week due to my job, I have stayed clear for 3 weeks so whilst I am not walking in there confidently expecting to sail through, I just hope I will be ok. My ban finished September 2012 but have only just got around to sorting my medical out.

I just want this whole thing out of the way so I can stop beating myself up and get back to some normality.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Haha whats the chances of that? same date! Wellwhat ive heard is that if you havent been dependant on alcohol and dont abuse the stuff you should be fine. I mean by then time tuesday hits you'll probably be on week 4 right? You have a similar situation that me. I finisahed my ban dec 2013 but have just got round to sorting everything out now.

Yeah same, i just wanna get the whole thing sorted. Ive just bought a little corsa for 900 and been insured for 130 a month. So im back on the road and it feels amazing yet a little nervous as i havent drove for 2 years. Its a gamble that ive taken, as if i fail this medical i will have to probably sell my car and loose out ona lot of money, insurance, tax, mot etc...

Fingers crossed for you! let us all know how your getting on!

I will psot on here once im done on Tuesday morning!

Hi everyone, you might have seen me posting on here quite abit latly. as i am as eager to get my license back as much as you all are.

i was wondering if anyone knew what my options are, ive just received my letter from the dvla giving me the dvla GP details and that i should contact them within 21 days to book a medial. now, i haven't touched a single drop of alcohol in exactly a month today.

therefor was thinking to give them a ring and book this thing and get it out the way so i can get on with my life and enjoy driving again! i was thinking to maybe ring them tomorrow morning and book it for Friday. that way i will have 5 weeks of no alcohol what so ever.

just wondered if this was a sensible thing to do, or weather its too soon to chance it and maybe give it a few more weeks! i actually feel really proud of myself, ive still been going out nearly every weekend with friends and seem them do the most stupidest things while drunk and while im completely sober. (i have the last laugh in the morning though ha-ha)

anyway would appreciate any responses from people who have gone through similar ordeals or people who have the knowledge.

thanks guys
(sorry for my no-caps punctuation my keyboard cap key decided to stop working!)
Hi suthers like a fool i have been hammering the pubs all year coz obviously had no responsibility of my licence. Now dvla have just sprung this medical demand in 6 weeks but i have to book it before Xmas , six weeks falls on xmas so they say i have six weeks from the 12 th November 2014.so that giv s me 1 month tee total ...please can someone give me any advice as I am in total limbo my job depends on It.
I don't know how's these people in the dvla can still continue to punish us all this is an infringment of are human Rights surely most of us all have had our lifeslfotally disfigured.If had the money I would get the best legal team in the country and kick there but.

Hi suthers like a fool i have been hammering the pubs all year coz obviously had no responsibility of my licence. Now dvla have just sprung this medical demand in 6 weeks but i have to book it before Xmas , six weeks falls on xmas so they say i have six weeks from the 12 th November 2014.so that giv s me 1 month tee total ...please can someone give me any advice as I am in total limbo my job depends on It.
I don't know how's these people in the dvla can still continue to punish us all this is an infringment of are human Rights surely most of us all have had our lifeslfotally disfigured.If had the money I would get the best legal team in the country and kick there but.

Phone your Dr, or even a A&E ward at a large hospital and ask to do a detox for alchohol dependancy. Once you get on it takes about 7 days with librium to counter the shakes and otherwise deadly withdrawal, as the depressing effect of alcohol is removed and your brain chemistry (which unlike a normal human has to work 'normally' - through a cloud of poison) is amped up and cannot just be turned off like a normal person, so you get shakes, feel horrific etc... when you try and come off it by abstinence alone.

When you are through the pain of withdrawal - you must know you can never go back - you have to learn that your relationship with alcohol is NOTHING like ordinary peoples, even with one drink as your brain chemistry, as a past alcoholic, is setup to get rehooked instantly. It will fall back into being 'amped up' to get past the fog of booze hitting it, and your cravings and dependency will be reignited. You will have to go through all the withdrawal process crap and pain all over again for that 1 drink.

Phone your Dr, or even a A&E ward at a large hospital and ask to do a detox for alchohol dependancy. Once you get on it takes about 7 days with librium to counter the shakes and otherwise deadly withdrawal, as the depressing effect of alcohol is removed and your brain chemistry (which unlike a normal human has to work 'normally' - through a cloud of poison) is amped up and cannot just be turned off like a normal person, so you get shakes, feel horrific etc... when you try and come off it by abstinence alone.

When you are through the pain of withdrawal - you must know you can never go back - you have to learn that your relationship with alcohol is NOTHING like ordinary peoples, even with one drink as your brain chemistry, as a past alcoholic, is setup to get rehooked instantly. It will fall back into being 'amped up' to get past the fog of booze hitting it, and your cravings and dependency will be reignited. You will have to go through all the withdrawal process crap and pain all over again for that 1 drink.

Hi,

I got the impression that you just like a good drink at weekends (and why not), but can leave it alone for a few days without any physical or any other problems. Then 4 weeks stopping completely should be enough to get through in my opinion. The other thing is maybe you could contact the medical centre, book a time, but make it as late as possible to give you more time. As long as it is arranged for sometime then this will probably satisfy the DVLA. One time I applied you had to let them know when you had arranged the medical, but they didn't ask me to tell them this time - mind you, I wanted it all sorted straight away. Maybe they can't give you an appointment straight away anyway.
If you can go 4 weeks without drinking then you are obviously not dependant. I would go ahead but wait until the last minute and then book it. Obviously don't drink.

Good luck

Peter

Hi,

I got the impression that you just like a good drink at weekends (and why not), but can leave it alone for a few days without any physical or any other problems. Then 4 weeks stopping completely should be enough to get through in my opinion. The other thing is maybe you could contact the medical centre, book a time, but make it as late as possible to give you more time. As long as it is arranged for sometime then this will probably satisfy the DVLA. One time I applied you had to let them know when you had arranged the medical, but they didn't ask me to tell them this time - mind you, I wanted it all sorted straight away. Maybe they can't give you an appointment straight away anyway.
If you can go 4 weeks without drinking then you are obviously not dependant. I would go ahead but wait until the last minute and then book it. Obviously don't drink.

Good luck

Peter
Thank you so much peter for that reasuring advice it will b 3 half weeks with not a drop of the stuff . My appointment is booked for the 16th December 2014 milkthistle & water is the way forward from what i have read on here and just hope & prey. Anymore advice from any u guys in the same boat would b more than appreciated. good luck. I will keep it all updated.

Many thanks for your advice letsbyavenue but i dont think I need a detox as I don't have any withdrawal symptoms yes I have been drinking far to much over course of my 18 month ban but not every single day mostly weekends sometimes during the week as well . Yes I do have cravens but I can resist it.I have herd so many different storys on here how long alcohol takes to leaves your system please can anyone clarify this as I am left call confused with all the different opinions. If i drink. 2litres of water a day with 3 milkthistle tablets a day for 3 and a half weeks have I got any chance at all of passing ..any thoughts from anyone will b much appreciated..Many thanks again for all your support.

Hi everyone one!

Hows it going? My medical was this morning at 9am. Thought id share my experience with everyone on here and it may give you some more insight into the whole precidure.

Basically, turned up 8.50 (10mins early) had to fill out a form while I wait for the doctor to see me. just basic info about myself and my GP details

The about 9.15 the doc called me. was very friendly, said good morning and asked what i do for a living. she then made me check that the test tube was named and dated correctly and had to sign another form. I then gave her the fee. was 98.50 but only had 5 20's so told her to keep the change in which she said she would give to charity :)

Anyway, then she got that famous questionaire out. Mostly of which i answered No too.
The main ones i remember was when did i drink last, how many units where they and what did i drink
I actually told her that I hadnt drunk for 7 weeks(truth) and told her that i drink 2-4 units roughly monthly. she said this will damage my health but is not a cause for major concern. She was quite happy with my answers and my presance and said that she would write up a good report too the DVLA for me.

Then I had my blood taken, and was told to lie down on the bed and the doc checked over my lower stomach to make sure my liver wasnt swollen or inflamed. And was told that everything is fine.

And that was basically it. She told me i would hear the results in around 2-3 weeks time. And that if they found anything irregular in my blood that i may be asked to return in 6 months and continue on a temp licence (really hoping this is not the case) however said it should be fine.

Anyway thats my experience of the medical examination. any questions please fire away!

Hi everyone one!

Hows it going? My medical was this morning at 9am. Thought id share my experience with everyone on here and it may give you some more insight into the whole precidure.

Basically, turned up 8.50 (10mins early) had to fill out a form while I wait for the doctor to see me. just basic info about myself and my GP details

The about 9.15 the doc called me. was very friendly, said good morning and asked what i do for a living. she then made me check that the test tube was named and dated correctly and had to sign another form. I then gave her the fee. was 98.50 but only had 5 20's so told her to keep the change in which she said she would give to charity :)

Anyway, then she got that famous questionaire out. Mostly of which i answered No too.
The main ones i remember was when did i drink last, how many units where they and what did i drink
I actually told her that I hadnt drunk for 7 weeks(truth) and told her that i drink 2-4 units roughly monthly. she said this will damage my health but is not a cause for major concern. She was quite happy with my answers and my presance and said that she would write up a good report too the DVLA for me.

Then I had my blood taken, and was told to lie down on the bed and the doc checked over my lower stomach to make sure my liver wasnt swollen or inflamed. And was told that everything is fine.

And that was basically it. She told me i would hear the results in around 2-3 weeks time. And that if they found anything irregular in my blood that i may be asked to return in 6 months and continue on a temp licence (really hoping this is not the case) however said it should be fine.

Anyway thats my experience of the medical examination. any questions please fire away!

Hi,

Yes it's not so bad really. They get a lot of money for not much work, though. They checked my eyes too, probably to spin the medical out a bit longer :)
Did you mean 2-4 units a day?
If you want the blood results quicker, you have to write them a letter requesting this and sign it, as they won't tell you over the phone (well not for me anyway).
Even then, you still have to wait for the doctors at the DVLA to give their licensing decision.

Bets wishes

Peter

Hi,

Yes it's not so bad really. They get a lot of money for not much work, though. They checked my eyes too, probably to spin the medical out a bit longer :)
Did you mean 2-4 units a day?
If you want the blood results quicker, you have to write them a letter requesting this and sign it, as they won't tell you over the phone (well not for me anyway).
Even then, you still have to wait for the doctors at the DVLA to give their licensing decision.

Bets wishes

Peter

Hi peter,

No when I said 2-4 units I ment at a time. and said I drink twice a month drinking between 2-4 units each time. and told her that i hadnt drank for 7 weeks which is true.

2-4 units a day would surely put anyone in the dependency bracket? Defo not me! ;-)
Oh ok I was aware of that. I may do, or may just wait as Im back driving now and so dont need them desperatly!

She also said those 2-4 units (4cans) damaging my health considerably !

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off