insurance quote before licence back

Convicted Driver Insurance

mikeouk

hi all
my girlfriend was given a 16 month ban on 12/12/13 with option of a reduction to 12 month if she completed the drink drive awareness course which she has now done.
She will apply for her licence back shortly so she has her licence back for 12/12/14.
We are due to go on holiday on that day and want to use her car which is currently sorn and uninsured. I have my own car and my insurance covers me to drive another vehicle tpft if its already insured. The plan is to get insurance in place to start 12am on 12th on her car, I can then tax it online, and we can drive to airport in it, (ill be driving, not her, using my insurance).
so, my question is, when can we start getting insurance quotes for her? is it 30days before licence is returned? also, if anyone can see any problems with our plan, please point them out, i dont want to find out on the day i cant insure and tax her car, hers is an estate car and we're taking our 3kids and luggage which will not fit in mine.
thanks in advance.

Many Insurance companies will give you quotes for up to 60 days in advance.
the only problem I see with your plan is that if the insurance does not start until midnight on the day you are going to drive it, when you try to tax the car the insurance database may not be updated so it will show that the vehicle in uninsured and therefore cannot be taxed.
it will not recognise insurance 'booked' to be in place, only when cover actually starts, but this can take several hours, or even a day to a day and a half to update.
does the vehicle have a current MOT with being off the road for a year?
it seems a shame to tax the vehicle almost half way through the month, then insure it, just to drive it for a couple of hours then leave it while you are abroad for a week or two with expensive insurance on it. Could you not get some luggage dropped off at the airport or borrow a roof rack for your car for the extra luggage and leave hers SORN until 1st January?

Many Insurance companies will give you quotes for up to 60 days in advance.
the only problem I see with your plan is that if the insurance does not start until midnight on the day you are going to drive it, when you try to tax the car the insurance database may not be updated so it will show that the vehicle in uninsured and therefore cannot be taxed.
it will not recognise insurance 'booked' to be in place, only when cover actually starts, but this can take several hours, or even a day to a day and a half to update.
does the vehicle have a current MOT with being off the road for a year?
it seems a shame to tax the vehicle almost half way through the month, then insure it, just to drive it for a couple of hours then leave it while you are abroad for a week or two with expensive insurance on it. Could you not get some luggage dropped off at the airport or borrow a roof rack for your car for the extra luggage and leave hers SORN until 1st January?

thanks for reply.
i did wonder how long it takes for an insurance policy to register on the data base.
Yes the car has a current mot, its a car we have bought ready for her to use, so shes never used it as yet.
I agree its a shame to tax the car half way through the month, but its a fairly low tax band anyway, and when we get back from holiday, shes on 7 day shifts including xmas day, so her being able to drive will be a massive bonus, ive been ferrying her around for past 10months, so it will be a relief to me.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off