2nd Ban getting me down...

Convicted Driver Insurance

stupidgirl

Hi Guys,

I guess I'm seeking some replies from people who may be able to offer some words of positivity or hope, or who may just be feeling the same as I am :-(

I'm almost 5 months into my second ban (unfortunately) of 3 years and already it's getting me down :-(

I constantly punish myself for being so damn stupid, once bitten, twice shy hey?!

I have days where I just look at our car and feel really depressed that I can't just get in it and drive. Driving, for me, wasn't just a means to get from A to B, it was a passion, and I threw it away, again :eek:(

2017 I will get my licence back...20 bloody 17 :(

I feel so lucky to have not been handed a harsher punishment (by law) but I can't help feeling that I may never drive again :(

Hi Guys,

I guess I'm seeking some replies from people who may be able to offer some words of positivity or hope, or who may just be feeling the same as I am :-(

I'm almost 5 months into my second ban (unfortunately) of 3 years and already it's getting me down :-(

I constantly punish myself for being so damn stupid, once bitten, twice shy hey?!

I have days where I just look at our car and feel really depressed that I can't just get in it and drive. Driving, for me, wasn't just a means to get from A to B, it was a passion, and I threw it away, again :eek:(

2017 I will get my licence back...20 bloody 17 :(

I feel so lucky to have not been handed a harsher punishment (by law) but I can't help feeling that I may never drive again :(

Hi,

I will hopefully get my licence back in the next few weeks, but the waiting seems to be worse the nearer the end is in sight - so I can imagine having to wait so long in your case would really get you down. I haven't driven for over 5 years due to alcohol problems, but at least that's all behind me now. My anger and frustration is more with the system, but I won't go on about this.

I wish I could offer some encouragement, but of course you can't make things go any quicker. 3 years seems very harsh for a ban but I suppose that's what it must be for a 2nd offence, and I am like you I just like to drive and get out and about in the countryside etc. The things that keep me going are trying to keep busy, concentrate on the positive things - I was lucky to have a supportive family throughout everything, and I had put myself, them and other people at risk and thankfully nobody was hurt. I found it helpful to try and keep active to take my mind off things. and getting back to doing some old hobbies and all that.

I have found these forums quite useful and even just posting something can get things off your chest. I am always reading other peoples posts (sometimes in amusement, mind) and together with Facebook it's another addiction!
Take care

Peter

Hi Peter :)

Thanks for your reply. Yeah I was handed my first DR10 in 2012, when I blew 56 and was given a 12-month (reduced to 9) ban, which seemed to drag like crazy in itself. I swore to myself that I would NEVER be so stupid again, however, life got in the way, some major life changes in between, therefore major stress which then equalled a stupid, stupid decision on my part again.

This time, I blew 83 and convinced myself I was going to get a custodial sentence :-( My Anxiety didn't help me over that 3 week waiting period from the initial arrest, to the appearing in court. However, this forum was GREAT! I had some really great advice from people on here, and was never made to feel judged in any way for my stupid mistakes. However, I was given a fine and a hefty 3-year ban (no option of course this time, understandably!)

I have good days, and bad. I'm pregnant right now, so when the baby's born the walking will probably be my saviour in losing the baby weight! That's one positive I guess! Though I get on a bus now and kick myself, I really do

Hi StupidGirl, was in a similar situation as yourself.

My 3 year ban finished in December 2013 and with the medical, theory test, practical test it was May 2014 before I was back on the road.

I was like you - gutted how I was so stupid and days I would hate everyone who was driving but other days I just accepted it and got on with life.

At the start I had a calendar marking off the days but that just seems to make the time drag constantly living your life by a calendar so just try to stay positive - it will end, albeit in 2017.

Please do not be tempted - like me - and drive whilst disqualified, I did and got punished again, community service and a further years ban which in reality added another 3 months onto the ban.

It was hateful getting buses / taxis to and from work but there will always be someone in a worse situation than yourself, if you can take some comfort from that.

This forum was great for letting of some steam and reading others guys situations. You can apply to get your licence back after 2 years providing you have a good reason, so having a new baby etc.... might sway a Magistrates view.

Just try to stay positive and concentrate on other more positive situations in your life.

Hi StupidGirl, was in a similar situation as yourself.

My 3 year ban finished in December 2013 and with the medical, theory test, practical test it was May 2014 before I was back on the road.

I was like you - gutted how I was so stupid and days I would hate everyone who was driving but other days I just accepted it and got on with life.

At the start I had a calendar marking off the days but that just seems to make the time drag constantly living your life by a calendar so just try to stay positive - it will end, albeit in 2017.

Please do not be tempted - like me - and drive whilst disqualified, I did and got punished again, community service and a further years ban which in reality added another 3 months onto the ban.

It was hateful getting buses / taxis to and from work but there will always be someone in a worse situation than yourself, if you can take some comfort from that.

This forum was great for letting of some steam and reading others guys situations. You can apply to get your licence back after 2 years providing you have a good reason, so having a new baby etc.... might sway a Magistrates view.

Just try to stay positive and concentrate on other more positive situations in your life.

Hi Andy,

I remember you posting to me when I was due to appear in court, you helped a lot with reassuring me as I was extremely anxious at that time!

Can I ask why you had to re-take your theory and driving test? I thought it was just the medical? x

Hi,

As we are classed as High Risk Offenders (HRO) - we are required to take a medical and then complete the Theory and Practical tests.

Thats how it is in Northern Ireland but would have assumed it was the same in mainland UK but I could be wrong.

Northern Ireland requires you to retake your theory and practical test. That is NOT a requirement here, just the medical as a HRO. Occasionally the court may order someone to retake their test, usually after some particularly bad driving, but they tell you at the time. If you were not told in court, then you do not have to retake either test.

Northern Ireland requires you to retake your theory and practical test. That is NOT a requirement here, just the medical as a HRO. Occasionally the court may order someone to retake their test, usually after some particularly bad driving, but they tell you at the time. If you were not told in court, then you do not have to retake either test.

Hey John :)

Knew I could rely on you to reassure me! Seems such a relief using this forum now, as opposed to my posts back in May, prior to court, when I was so anxious and worried at the possible outcome(s)!

I'm having my bad days without my license but feel so lucky to have not been handed a harsher punishment plus I've decided to stop drinking altogether :) I wasn't really a drinker so to speak, but I guess I don't need the hassle plus I'm pregnant with baby nr.3 at the mo! :)

I do read some of the new posts and feel the pain of those awaiting their court appearance following arrest :-( X

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off