high risk or not

Convicted Driver Insurance

boltonian

hello all. My dad got banned for drink driving in 2003 and 2005. First ban expired early 2004 and last time he got a 3 year ban. He didn't reapply for license as he could get to work by bus easily. He is now thinking of changing jobs and wants to apply to get his license back. My question is ....will he be regarded as he a high risk offender because both bans were within 10 years, or is it just a normal renewal because it is more than 10 years since the first ban. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

hello all. My dad got banned for drink driving in 2003 and 2005. First ban expired early 2004 and last time he got a 3 year ban. He didn't reapply for license as he could get to work by bus easily. He is now thinking of changing jobs and wants to apply to get his license back. My question is ....will he be regarded as he a high risk offender because both bans were within 10 years, or is it just a normal renewal because it is more than 10 years since the first ban. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

Your dad will be classed as a high risk and offender and will be required to take and pass a DVLA medical before a driving licence will be issued to him because he was convicted of driving with excess alcohol and disqualified twice in the space of 10 years.

Hi, I have had a Northern Ireland driving licence since I was 17 in 1977. I went to university in Dundee, Scotland and there I got disqualified twice, once in 1980 and once in 1981 approximately, for drink driving offences. I was not allowed to drive in Great Britain until the disqualification was up and I had passed a driving test in GB. However I was always allowed to drive in Northern Ireland the whole time since the Scottish law did not have authority to take my Northern Ireland licence.
I was wondering if I have to declare this on my Northern Ireland licence renewal form since it is so long ago, and if so will I be a high risk offender and have to pay the higher fee and will I have to take a medical, many thanks

Te High Risk Offenders Scheme was not introduced until May 1983, and it only applied to 2 convictions in 10 years with a reading of 2.5 times the legal limit or more. It was extended in 1990 to cover one conviction with a reading of 2.5 times or more, two convictions in 10 years or a refusal to supply.
You therefore appear to be NOT covered by the HRO scheme and can apply in the normal way without worrying about a medical.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off