Driverless Cars and the Drink Driving Law

Convicted Driver Insurance
It will depend on which vehicles are being talked about. The report says there is to be a review:
"Two area will be examined by the review: how the rules should apply to vehicles in which the driver can take back control at short notice, and how they should apply to vehicles in which there is no driver."
i would imagine that the first stages of this experiment will involve vehicles where the driver can "take back control" as fully driverless vehicles would be too radical for the general public to contemplate until the technology is proven. It is also apparently being limited to certain designated areas.
The test for driving at present is the control of direction and movement so a person could still be convicted of drink driving in a car where they can take back control.
The other question would be: "do you need a driving licence to drive one?" If yes, again there would still have to be some sanctions that could be applied. If it became the situation where anyone could buy and use one, and they are truly driverless, then I suppose that drink driving would not apply. Will ordinary laws of "drunk in a public place" still apply though? I would imagine that they would...... but it would not involve a disqualification because a licence is not needed. At present a disqualified driver can ride an electric bike, because they can be ridden without a licence.

Drink driving could be a thing of the past if you are classed as a passenger rather than a driver. Guess it would come down to the level of control someone has over the car.

Very interesting topic and concept!

Sorry to burst your bubble guys but this wont be happening in our lives.
Just because the technology is there doesn't mean it will happen. It would require a total overhaul of our road system and would probably bankrupt any country that attempts it. A few concept cars don't really count for much in my opinion.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off