Week to go...I think!

Convicted Driver Insurance

Creative666

Hi all - thankfully I have only a week to go of my 9 month ban. I received my licence back from the DVLA amazingly quickly and put it into my wallet awaiting what i thought was my first day back driving of Thurs 28th Aug which would be 9 months from my court conviction.

I looked at the licence this week and noticed that the start date of the licence was a day earlier, Wed 27th Aug. I think i've read on here before that you can drive again from the date it states on your new licence but i just wanted to check with those in the know if I am correct in thinking that or just to give it an extra day to the 28th as i thought to be on the safe side. I think the reduction for the drink drive course may skew the actual date slightly because of the different number of days in the months but i'd rather be certain or just wait an extra day if its not clear.

After the first few difficult months adjusting to having no transport, I found i could live my life pretty much the same but i just wanted to pay a massive tribute to my wife who has been amazingly supportive doing all the driving for the family that I would have been helping with. Without her understanding it would have been a very difficult 9 months and I believe I am incredibly lucky she was there for me. I hope those of you reading this still looking at a long period to go are being supoorted by your loved ones as it has really taken some pressure off me - I was mortified at being arrested, being in a police station, being in court and then getting a criminal record so i put enough pressure on myself for a moment of stupidness.

Now its my turn to ensure she is never put in this position again so i have learned a huge lesson. Although my reading was low (40), over is over and i will never ever set foot in the car again if i've drunk any alcohol at all. The ban and everything surrounding it have done their job on me forever.

Creative666
Happy driving on the 27th !!!!!!!! !
you asked:
I looked at the licence this week and noticed that the start date of the licence was a day earlier, Wed 27th Aug. I think i've read on here before that you can drive again from the date it states on your new licence but i just wanted to check with those in the know if I am correct in thinking that or just to give it an extra day to the 28th as i thought to be on the safe side. I think the reduction for the drink drive course may skew the actual date slightly because of the different number of days in the months but i'd rather be certain or just wait an extra day if its not clear.

You are right, the number of days can be skewed according to the months involved. Quite safe to drive from (and including) the date on the licence.

Creative666
Happy driving on the 27th !!!!!!!! !
you asked:

You are right, the number of days can be skewed according to the months involved. Quite safe to drive from (and including) the date on the licence.

Thank you for confirming what i thought. Would rather wait 1 more day than have taken a chance but sure i'd seen a similar comment on here during the last 9 months. Thanks for everyone involved on this site - invaluable source of information and advice based on real life experience.

Happy driving Creative, always inspiring to hear of another one of us getting back on the road. Great to see you had that support, have to say it put a bit too much pressure on my own relationship (we lived apart which made things even more difficult) but onwards and upwards. Fortunately my parents and a couple of work colleagues have rallied around me of which I'm very thankful for, been a life saver at times.

You'll be driving just as I'm passing through the 1 year mark. Another 4 months and a bit to go for me. Driving at Xmas will be the best present I've ever had! Best of luck in the future and safe driving :)

Happy driving Creative, always inspiring to hear of another one of us getting back on the road. Great to see you had that support, have to say it put a bit too much pressure on my own relationship (we lived apart which made things even more difficult) but onwards and upwards. Fortunately my parents and a couple of work colleagues have rallied around me of which I'm very thankful for, been a life saver at times.

You'll be driving just as I'm passing through the 1 year mark. Another 4 months and a bit to go for me. Driving at Xmas will be the best present I've ever had! Best of luck in the future and safe driving :)

Thanks mate. Glad to hear you have a good target to aim for at Christmas. Hopefully your relationship may get back on an even keel.

Hi Creative666,

Well done on pinching a day!

Got nine months as well and due to be driving legally a day later than you on the 29th!.:)

Its been a long, long nine months but I have just about got through it wiser and lighter in the pocket.:(

Well done getting through your ban. I got back on the road this Sunday just gone. I got my car and insurance sorted for the day after my license was dated as valid, didn't want to take any chances. When your license is revoked it feels like a part of your life is missing, the first time you get behind the wheel and the thought 'I can actually drive this now' crosses your mind... that sense of wholeness and freedom comes rushing back. I won't even risk a drop of alocohol in my system when driving now. I wouldn't be able to live through another long cold winter stuck at home. I live in a small sleepy village (you'd hear a pin drop around here) in the middle of nowhere and the nearest bus stop is an hours walk nearly. Getting to work has been a massive struggle.

Last edited:
Well done getting through your ban. I got back on the road this Sunday just gone. I got my car and insurance sorted for the day after my license was dated as valid, didn't want to take any chances. When your license is revoked it feels like a part of your life is missing, the first time you get behind the wheel and the thought 'I can actually drive this now' crosses your mind... that sense of wholeness and freedom comes rushing back. I won't even risk a drop of alocohol in my system when driving now. I wouldn't be able to live through another long cold winter stuck at home. I live in a small sleepy village (you'd hear a pin drop around here) in the middle of nowhere and the nearest bus stop is an hours walk nearly. Getting to work has been a massive struggle.

As a 'newby' driver again, can I ask you how you felt driving for the first day or so? I work in the very Centre of London and used to drive into the office lots of times when i had to drive to meetings outside of London in the afternoons. I was thinking about driving in on my first day back behind the wheel next week but now i'm feeling very nervous about the traffic up here etc. Before it didn't bother me at all when other people not used to London traffic would comment on how busy and fast it is. I'm sure i'll feel ok after a while but just interested how anyone lese was feeling approaching that first drive back

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off