Advice needed - DD Ban was up 3 years ago and need to do a medical.

Convicted Driver Insurance

Spooky

Hi, new to this so please bear with me if i ramble on!!

I got a 5 year ban 8 years ago so my ban has been up for some time. During that time i still drank quite a lot and never really bothered about driving as my wife drives and i have a bus pass.

Around 3 months ago i went for an in-patient de-tox which went great and i have not had a drink since ( my gamma was 240 before my detox) so should be much lower by now.

I was thinking about applying for my licence back now and i know i need to go for the medical but i am unsure if this is wise, or should i wait the full 12 months as some people have said in other posts.

I would undergo a liver function test with my own GP before a medical to make sure my levels were ok, and if they were within the set guidelines would DVLA still want to contact my own GP?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Spooky

These days DVLA get you to do a CDT test to look for alcohol related problems, so getting a good LFT from your doctor does not guarantee success with CDT.
It seems that you would fall into the category of "alcohol dependant"if you went in for detox only 3 months ago. The 5 year ban that you got indicates either repeated drink driving or a very high reading.
Given all this, I do not think that you would be successful in getting your licence back at this stage. If the detox has worked, I am very pleased for you, but DVLA guidelines require a minimum 6 months gap after alcohol misuse, and 12 months after alcohol dependancy. They can take such factors into account for up to 2 years.
i am sure in your case they would contact your GP for more information.

These days DVLA get you to do a CDT test to look for alcohol related problems, so getting a good LFT from your doctor does not guarantee success with CDT.
It seems that you would fall into the category of "alcohol dependant"if you went in for detox only 3 months ago. The 5 year ban that you got indicates either repeated drink driving or a very high reading.
Given all this, I do not think that you would be successful in getting your licence back at this stage. If the detox has worked, I am very pleased for you, but DVLA guidelines require a minimum 6 months gap after alcohol misuse, and 12 months after alcohol dependancy. They can take such factors into account for up to 2 years.
i am sure in your case they would contact your GP for more information.

Thanks for the reply, just one question though: what would be the likely outcome if i went for the medical and my
GGT and CDT were within normal parameters even well before the 12 months or so?

Thanks

Spooky

You would still have to achieve the gaps that I listed before, after abuse or dependency.
As I said before, with an in patient detox, I think you must have come under the dependency category.
The same applies to someone after an epileptic fit, they can't say 'I have been fine for a few weeks, I am responding to medication so I won't have another one', they have to be free from seizures for a year before they can get their licence back.
The guidance is here:
https://www.gov.uk/current-medical-guidelines-dvla-guidance-for-professionals-conditions-a-to-c
I would suggest that you keep in touch with your doctor regularly, so that when the time comes to ask for a licence, he will be on board with recommending that you get it back, rather than him report that you had detox in 'X' month but he does not know anything else since. I feel sure that DVLA will consult him (her).

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off