Need help with dvla medical!!!

Convicted Driver Insurance

Dubbynate

Hello all.

I really need some assistance with my current situation, I got banned last year for 18 months. My license is due back on the 24 November this year, if I pass the medical that is. Is it true that I can only apply for the D1 form no earlier than 3 months before? And if so, if I sent off for the D1 form on the 24th August. How long would it take for the dvla to respond and what sort of date would they be looking at giving me? So I know when to stop drinking. Any guidance would be brilliant. As I'm working abroad and don't know if it's safe to just have a few drinks tomorrow etc. Please help if you can.

Many thanks

Nathan

Hello all.

I really need some assistance with my current situation, I got banned last year for 18 months. My license is due back on the 24 November this year, if I pass the medical that is. Is it true that I can only apply for the D1 form no earlier than 3 months before? And if so, if I sent off for the D1 form on the 24th August. How long would it take for the dvla to respond and what sort of date would they be looking at giving me? So I know when to stop drinking. Any guidance would be brilliant. As I'm working abroad and don't know if it's safe to just have a few drinks tomorrow etc. Please help if you can.

Many thanks

Nathan
Nathan,

The letter I got stated that I could apply up to 8 weeks before the licence can be issued, but then I heard 90 days mentioned on this forum so I am not sure. I sent my form off at the start of July, and nothing yet - although they will cash your cheque straight away! I emailed them and got a reply saying that the backlog is about 8 weeks anyway, so I will give it a bit longer. At least I know it's in the 'system'. I think they should at least let you know that they have got your application
As for stopping drinking, unless you are a regular binger or misuse alcohol, then it seems if you lay off it for a couple of weeks before your medical, then the results of the test will be within their limits. This is from other cases I have heard of, not personally. They are just checking that you haven't got a long term problem.
So I think you can enjoy a few drinks at the moment!

Good luck,

Peter

You can put in the application to get your licence back 56 days in advance, BUT, if you are a high risk offender and have to do a medical then you can apply 3 months in advance.
you do not have to stil drinking before the medical, just stick to guideline amounts of 21 -28 units per week for 4-6 weeks before the medical and everything should be fine, unless you have a longstanding history with alcohol which comes up during the assessment process.

Thanks very much for your help. I am a high risk offended, the 18 month period ends on the 24th November. So the 90 days before that I can apply for the medical. So I guess I'll be doing that before November 24th? As my ban would of ended. I'm by far from a binge drinker at all, I'm just working in Russia at the moment and just wanted a few beers over the weekend. Just seeing if anyone could give me an estimate when exactly is best to cut the drink out. Wish there was some real information on this from the dvla. Thanks again guys.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off