Waiting for medical decision in recovery

Convicted Driver Insurance

spleeny

Hello peeps,
DVLA have had my examination results for NINE weeks now. Having been in addiction for many years, and despite thankfully having found rehab and recovery, clean for 16 months, waiting for gratification is still not a strong point of mine and it's "driving" me nuts!
Is nine weeks unusual? Each time I ring I'm told they can't give a time-scale and they've got a lot on. Any pointers on escalating, if they'll even entertain it?

Hello peeps,
DVLA have had my examination results for NINE weeks now. Having been in addiction for many years, and despite thankfully having found rehab and recovery, clean for 16 months, waiting for gratification is still not a strong point of mine and it's "driving" me nuts!
Is nine weeks unusual? Each time I ring I'm told they can't give a time-scale and they've got a lot on. Any pointers on escalating, if they'll even entertain it?

Hi Spleeny, firstly congrats on 16 months clean, I hope they get on with it as it is a worrying time isn't it... keep us posted eh...
All the best,
Moodle

Hi Spleeny, firstly congrats on 16 months clean, I hope they get on with it as it is a worrying time isn't it... keep us posted eh...
All the best,
Moodle

Thanks Moodle, doing my best to keep on keeping on. In my recovery mind at the moment it's as if by taking so long they're testing me to see if I relapse! Consequences eh, don't you just love em!
Spleeny.

All the best,
Moodle
Hi Spleeny,

I am in a similar position - used to be a heavy drinker but stopped (11 months ago). I just applied again and was desperate just to know they had even got my letter! Anyway, I phoned up and it's 'on the system' but was told it may be 8 weeks or more (I don't know if that's for them to get back to me re the medical. However, and this has happened before, my cheque has already been cashed so that's £90 lying around in their accounts getting interest. Surely they should only cash it if I am successful?
I am not worried about the blood test but if they have a feel of my liver they will probably find something wrong - that's causing me concern, although I am feeling good generally, and my GP should be supportive.
Anyway good luck to you,

Peter

Hi Spleeny,

I am in a similar position - used to be a heavy drinker but stopped (11 months ago). I just applied again and was desperate just to know they had even got my letter! Anyway, I phoned up and it's 'on the system' but was told it may be 8 weeks or more (I don't know if that's for them to get back to me re the medical. However, and this has happened before, my cheque has already been cashed so that's £90 lying around in their accounts getting interest. Surely they should only cash it if I am successful?
I am not worried about the blood test but if they have a feel of my liver they will probably find something wrong - that's causing me concern, although I am feeling good generally, and my GP should be supportive.
Anyway good luck to you,

Peter

Hello Peter,

Thanks for your input. My required one year abstinence was up on 28th January so I applied in December last year. I finally got a medical on the 28th of March and through ringing them was told they'd received the medical results on the 8th of April and so had all the information needed to make a decision on my application, so its now 15 weeks since that medical and I'm still waiting. I did receive a letter a couple of weeks ago apologising for the delay saying they do have a backlog at the moment, and that it may take at least 12 weeks to be reviewed, but also a maximum time of 90 working days (18 weeks unless you count the half day they open on Saturday in which case that's 16.33 weeks) So I can but hope to get a response by the end of this month which will be six months since I applied! They do have a good feel of your stomach, look in your eyes and test reflexes and bloods at the medical. Why are you concerned about what they may feel? If you have any swelling or pains you really should take it up with your gp,
Sorry to be the bearer of long time tidings, I've heard of shorter waits but everyones case is different and I am a high risk offender having refused to give a breath sample and having used drugs in the past,

All the best, let us know how you get on,

Dean.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off