Effect of conviction on USA travel

Convicted Driver Insurance

Creative666

Hi all - I was convicted in November 2013 and got a 1 year ban which is now 9 months post course. I have until mid-August to go.

My question relates to applying for a visa to go to the USA. In the course of my work, I have to go to the USA 3 or 4 times a year and UK citizens can travel on an ESTA (visa waiver) which you apply for online. I currently have 30 days on my existing ESTA before I have to apply again. I have been asked to go to the USA in 2 weeks times so within the timescale of my current ESTA.

On the rehab course, we were told that having a criminal conviction now would have an affect on the ability to apply for visa's to the USA and you would have top apply for a proper visa which takes longer and involves being interviewed by the American Embassy. All of that is fine but i don't have time to do it if the timings on the US Embassy website are correct.

My question is this. Has anyone has any issues travelling to America since their conviction either from having an ESAT application refused, been refused entry by American immigration on arrival OR been through the process of applying for the proper visa and could advise on timescales.

I am keen to be open and honest but not sure just to say I can't go or if going on my existing ESTA would be ok. My company is fuller aware of my dd conviction so no issues with them. I just don't want to fall foul of US immigration and be turned back at the border.

Opinions of any fellow travellers or legal experts in this area appreciated.

Andy

Hi all - I was convicted in November 2013 and got a 1 year ban which is now 9 months post course. I have until mid-August to go.

My question relates to applying for a visa to go to the USA. In the course of my work, I have to go to the USA 3 or 4 times a year and UK citizens can travel on an ESTA (visa waiver) which you apply for online. I currently have 30 days on my existing ESTA before I have to apply again. I have been asked to go to the USA in 2 weeks times so within the timescale of my current ESTA.

On the rehab course, we were told that having a criminal conviction now would have an affect on the ability to apply for visa's to the USA and you would have top apply for a proper visa which takes longer and involves being interviewed by the American Embassy. All of that is fine but i don't have time to do it if the timings on the US Embassy website are correct.

My question is this. Has anyone has any issues travelling to America since their conviction either from having an ESAT application refused, been refused entry by American immigration on arrival OR been through the process of applying for the proper visa and could advise on timescales.

I am keen to be open and honest but not sure just to say I can't go or if going on my existing ESTA would be ok. My company is fuller aware of my dd conviction so no issues with them. I just don't want to fall foul of US immigration and be turned back at the border.

Opinions of any fellow travellers or legal experts in this area appreciated.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Perhaps this thread will be of use to you, it contains a wealth of information on travelling to the USA with a drink driving conviction both via the ESTA and visa route. The general consensus seems to be ESTA is the way to go and several people have done this without encountering any problems.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off