First Driving Lesson Tomorrow!

Convicted Driver Insurance

chris125

Well Known Member
Having not driven since June 2013 I have my first driving lesson tomorrow. Feeling a wee bit nervous to be honest. All of a sudden something that has been second nature to me for many many years is going to be under scrutiny. Any advice folks?

Had mine yesterday Chris...1st one in my life...was ok but was stupid the way they make you career up to a junction with the clutch in, using the brake and shifting from 4the to 1st...same changing up...leave out 3rd...supposed to be eco safe driving...plain stupid

...plain stupid

I think this sums up a lot of the practical test. Old habits die hard, don't they? lol
How many do you think you're going to need? I was hoping to get 3 or 4 all at once and then try to get a test as quickly as I can.

I'm hoping the same...did all four manoeuvres yesterday...no bother...just remember to check mirror when at every speed limit sign...no need to indicate if nothing behind...main problem is the eco safe driving...I tend to overuse gears and rev the throttle a bit when taking off...less use of handbrake too...let us know how you get on tomorrow

Well folks, first lesson done. What a horlicks I made of it too! So many blooming stupid procedures.....clutch in and keep it in coming up to junctions, selecting the gear you're gonna use to exit the junction before you've even reached it, all this mirror stuff and 3 point turn procedures that must be exactly as they say.....the list is endless. I am not joking when I say I am a much safer driver with my own style than I'll ever be with this new fangled stuff. And as soon as I pass my test I'll be reverting to my old habits (and no, they weren't necessarily all bad habits either) because they always served me extremely well. Some of this new stuff would be more likely to cause me to have an accident than prevent it!

Still, that's the way it is and I suppose I'm just going to have to learn it. Perhaps it actually is a safe way to drive but it just doesn't suit me. Rant over!! lol

Totally agree Chris...eco safe driving...what a joke...coasting up to junctions with the clutch in, select the gear you want, 1st, wait till the clutch bites and...just imagine the damage your doing to the syncro box, not to mention tearing the clutch out...glad it's the instructors vehicle, not mine..

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to wish you both good luck with your lessons and tests :)

I dont envy you at all, it was the most nervous experience in my life but a great achievement.

Just keep those 'bad habits' until after you have passed :D and check the mirrors a LOT.

Thanks ukboxer
I have my 2nd lesson tomorrow (Friday) and my actual test is booked for Tuesday 6th May. I'll get 5 or 6 lessons done before then. If yesterday is anything to go by I'm gonna need them! lol

Hey guys had my first driving lesson today - 2 hours !!

He said my driving was fine but I need to work on my starting off and the manoeuvres. I just couldn't get the hang of starting to move the car. I had to wait until the change in engine noise and then let off the handbrake. Realised near the end of the lesson that the car is diesel and you do not need to press on the accelerator whilst releasing the clutch as you do for petrol cars, you just put if in first and remove your foot of the clutch - I did not know that as I have always driven a petrol car !!!!

Again as you both said I found it strange stopping at a junction in gear - use the handbrake - put it into first gear - release the handbrake before you move off. I always used neutral.

The 3-point turn again, checking every window before you move etc......

My head was spinning and was glad it was over but enjoyed the driving - think 2 hours was too much. Am out again on Tuesday evening but only for an hour.

Andy...in retrospect, I found the first lesson very hard too...it was like information overload with an alien driving technique..and the instructor harping on at you...

If you remember the observations, double blind spots, and follow the speed limits, you will be fine...you can drive after all...don't worry about changing down 3rd, 2nd, 1st etc, using a bit of throttle as you take off...I did those during the test when I thought I had failed and he didn't mark me down...I thought that "eco safe" driving mode was ridiculous...however if you just drive normally you won't fail...after all, everyone over about 30 drives as we do...

Also, I should add, during my test I was asked to do two bits of independent driving with maps that didn't even slightly resemble the real road...don't be afraid to ask "next right" etc.

You'll be fine Andy

I agree strontium. Before my first lesson I thought it was going to be a breeze. I had even considered having just one lesson and doing my test right away. How wrong I was! I was firmly 'put in my place' when I realised that I was actually going to have to try and do it the way they want it done. After that it wasn't so bad.
Having said that, now that I have passed I am 100% back to the way I always drove before. I am such a rebel !!!

Thanks Guys.

It was just information overload, the instructor was talking away and it just was not going in - keep your hands on the wheel at all times - don't overcross your hands when turning the wheel - what was the traffic sign we just passed - ease of the clutch - don't pull the handbrake up use the button, etc.....

I felt like I had accomplished nothing at the end albeit a sore head - ha ha.

But have to say the instructor is good and as he said, his job is to get me through the test and to get rid of the bad habits I had.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off