12 month licence

Convicted Driver Insurance

colin79

Good morning all.

I was banned from driving a few years ago and fell into the category of 'high risk offender' meaning that when my licence was returned it was only issued for 12months.

Although I used to drink heavily I completely stopped drinking after my ban which I'm sure was evident when I did my dvla medical.

So I was wondering, for how long do the DVLA insist on only issuing 12 month licenses for? I'm out of work at the moment and being an electrician a lot of jobs I could apply for would come with a company car/van, however I'm unlikely to get such a job if the employer thinks that my license is going to run out in x amount of months.

Thanks in advance for any advice

colin.

In theory, DVLA can continue to issue 12 month licences for as long as they want.
We had a poster on her last year who had been on them for 15 years!
Can you bring us up to date on your current position? Last year you discussed that you had been given a 12 month licence, but it was then taken away after your GP reported the medication you were on. Have you got your licence back again, for 12 months, or are you considering applying?
Last summer the DVA medical was changed to CDT tests rather than the old Liver Function Test. This should distinguish medication that was rIsing your ast level from any alcohol related damage to your liver, so this could put you in a better position.

Thanks for the reply mate.

Yes I had my medical last year and was issued my licence back which runs until August this year. As I said because I'm now teetotal I'm not at all worried about the next medical just the length of time its issued for as another sort term licence would mean having to explain my past drinking problems to a future employer which is not ideal.

colin.

Ask your doctor if he will support your application for a full licence.
DVLA may err on the side of safety and only issue a 12 month licence again, as it is not a great deal of time since they cancelled your licence due to your medication. If they do, and you remain alcohol free, then you should be OK after that. To be honest, you do not have to abstain, but with your background with alcohol, it might be best to abstain to prevent old habits returning.
i know how the theory works, hopefully one of the regulars who have been through the medical process a few times will also offer their practical knowledge.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off