DVLA High Risk Offender Medical

Convicted Driver Insurance

Windsor12

Hello and thank you for having me.

I need to do a medical beacuse I was convicted 10 years ago ad then again 2 1/2 Years ago.

While I have been off the road my drinking got worse, in that time I have been regularly drinking about 18 units a day most days - I frighten myself.

Probably doesnt help but I only drank in the evenings, never during the day, I eat vey healthily, take vitamins and regular in the gym keeping fit (ish). I am 5'10" and 82 kilos and I hold down a good job
In good health and not had reason to visit a doctor for at least 10 years

I have not touched a drink for 14 days now, clean break, and intend to keep that up beyond the medical.

As you can imagine, with that level of abuse I am very worried. Please advise me on my best course of action as to how long I need before I dare take the test and other things I should be doing.

Many thanks

The CDT test that is carried out as part of your medical will show up alcohol dependency, and in particular if there has been excess consumption over the past 4 weeks or so. You are half way there, so well done!
you have been drinking the equivalent of 2 bottles of wine daily, which is certainly a high amount to be drinking on a regular basis.
can I suggest that you visit your doctors and ask for a general check up on your health? Often posters on here are worried about what their doctor might say on a DVLA medical questionnaire if they are sent one.
In your case, there will be no evidence of alcohol and or substance misuse in the past 3 years, so your doctor would reply favourably for you. That is why I am suggesting a general health check without mentioning the 'A' word. Based on the results of that, it will give you confidence to go forward for your medical.

Thank you for the reply.

Through some research I have found the Doctor that DVLA use in my area and heave just spoken to him at some length. He has confirmed that I will be refered to him for the medical from my postcode.

Furthermore he is happy to do a private CDT for me (for a fee) to make certain that I am under 2.2% before I take the real thing.

He mentioned the questionaire, fairly straightforward and the phusical examination which would involve Height, Weight, Blood Pressure, listening to Heart and Lungs and making sure my stomach is not bloated by the Liver - None of which I have a problem with. As I say he is happy to do a Mock Examination.

As for what my own doctor would say, that too is not an issue as I have not seen him for years. I was in A&E a little while ago with a suspected hernia recently, hence I know that Blood Pressure, Heart Lungs are not an issue.

The only difference is that he suggested that the CDT will pick up on my drinking habits over the last 3 months as opposed to the $ weeks that you (and every one else on the net) mention.

Further more he has suggested that I apply for my licence now, that will give me 6 weeks to take the medical. Which is great because I was banned long before June 2013 so I can start driving Under Section 88.

Please let me have your views on the 4 weeks / 3 months in the varied advice

Many thanks

You can ask your doctor to refer you to your the pathology dept of your local hospital for a liver function test.
My local hospital is Blackpool Victoria. They are happy to take the blood samples or let my GP do them.
If the pathology dept do them, They will have the results sent by email to my GP the following day. If the GP sends them in, It may take a day or two longer.
They do need your GP to refer you.
You could ring your local hospital, They may do the test without a referal. It's worth a shot.
They only charge £5.98.

You can ask your doctor to refer you to your the pathology dept of your local hospital for a liver function test.
My local hospital is Blackpool Victoria. They are happy to take the blood samples or let my GP do them.
If the pathology dept do them, They will have the results sent by email to my GP the following day. If the GP sends them in, It may take a day or two longer.
They do need your GP to refer you.
You could ring your local hospital, They may do the test without a referal. It's worth a shot.
They only charge £5.98.

Thanks Europhil for your answer,

With respect, I believe I do not need a Liver Function Test (for DVLA purposes), to my knowledge that has now been superceeded by CBT.

DVLA will be asking the doctor for a CDT (carbohydrate deficient transferrin) count.

Do I really want to be alerting my doctor with what ever can of worms a LFT may or may not reveal ??? From a health point of view, yes it would be a good idea - just not now I think ?

Looking forward to reading your opinions.

What is your view on my previous question ""Please let me have your views on the 4 weeks / 3 months in the varied advice ???""

Regards

Thanks Europhil for your answer,

With respect, I believe I do not need a Liver Function Test (for DVLA purposes), to my knowledge that has now been superceeded by CBT.

DVLA will be asking the doctor for a CDT (carbohydrate deficient transferrin) count.

Do I really want to be alerting my doctor with what ever can of worms a LFT may or may not reveal ??? From a health point of view, yes it would be a good idea - just not now I think ?

Looking forward to reading your opinions.

What is your view on my previous question ""Please let me have your views on the 4 weeks / 3 months in the varied advice ???""

Regards
Hi Windsor, I am not a doctor so can only go by what I have read from others and understood by reading articles on CDT in relation to this which is that it will have far higher readings within the first few weeks but would be reducing quite rapidly if not drinking at all... I paid for a private test even though I expected it to be very very low as by then I hadn't drunk for nearly 6 months..it was what I expected...

If you have been in hospital recently then they would have done a full blood count to include liver function but not CDT of course usually so I would imagine that with the amount you were drinking if they didn't mention these being elevated.....that in itself is a good thing in terms of your liver coping with the amount you were drinking.. I think you are very brave to have rung the doctor that will carry out the test...did you tell him how much you were drinking???

Also it will be longer than 6 weeks if you haven't sent in the initial form yet.....as they will receive that with your cheque for £90 then write to you with your nearest docs details telling you to wait a bit for them to get the 'kit' to the doc and then make an apt within 6 weeks and appreciating you can drive anyway you can make that as near to that 6 week end as possible... so you are probably looking at more like 8 weeks...+)

Moodle

Last edited:
Windsor12
can you confirm the timescales for this.
you say you were caught 10 years ago, and again 2 1/2 years ago, making you a high risk offender, with a minimum 3 year ban.
you can only apply for your licence, and thereby trigger the medical process, 3 months before your ban is due to end.

Thank you Moodle.

At the hospital they did say that everything was normal and I went home. Of course I did not have any reason to highlight any issues ie Alcohol and neither did they say anything.

I think you are very brave to have rung the doctor that will carry out the test...did you tell him how much you were drinking???

Brave, how so ?

To b e fair I did not expect to get past the receptionist. He didnt ask for my name etc, he was happy to SELL me a private test and then make a buck from the official one too it seems, very nice man may I say.

Yes I was honest with him with regard to my drinking.

From your post it seems that if I stay off the sauce I should have nothing to worry about in 8 odd weeks time.

Of course there is always the possibility that I may have to cancel my application in 4 weeks for some unforseen reason, then reapply. that would be a good 12 week period added to time already done, should make certain that I get my licence back.

Windsor12
can you confirm the timescales for this.
you say you were caught 10 years ago, and again 2 1/2 years ago, making you a high risk offender, with a minimum 3 year ban.
you can only apply for your licence, and thereby trigger the medical process, 3 months before your ban is due to end.

Indeed I can Price. 36 month disqualification minus 9 months for rehabilitation course. My ban expired almost 3 months ago, just the medical is the obstacle now.

In which case I would stick your application in now, to start the ball rolling. As Moodle said, it will take a few weeks to get to the medical stage, and you can ask for a section 88 licence once your application is in with DVLA.

Hi

Well based on that I intend to make the application over the next few days, thats 3 endorsements for that (Price Moodle & the Doctor)

I will be doing the private mock test for sure, and as said, I have time on my hands as I can drive as soon as my application is recieved.

I have another question about CDT. Everywhere I look there is the mention of "7 - 14 days half life"

Would someone please explain that to me ?

To be on the safe side, don't bank on driving 'as soon as my application is received.'
You will need to get DVLA to confirm in writing that you can drive under S88. That way you have something to show the police if you are stopped.
A half life is the time that a substance, or an element, takes to lose half of its value or strength. Offer used to describe radioactive decay.
A half life of 7 to 14 days means that the reading will only be half as strong after that time. So in 14 to 28 days, it will only be a quarter as strong, and in 28 to 56 days it will only be one eighth of the original strength. I think another term for this is exponential, but my chemistry is rusty!

Thanks guys, certainly a lot of good help and advice there. very much appreciated ;)

I will continue to add to this thread with my progress and a timeline of events to help others in future.

Thanks guys, certainly a lot of good help and advice there. very much appreciated ;)

I will continue to add to this thread with my progress and a timeline of events to help others in future.

Hi Windsor,

By brave I meant effectively by speaking to the DVLA doctor so openly it seems (with or without giving your name), if you see him for a pre medical test he will already know you were drinking fairly high levels of alcohol, I am sure somewhere here I read of someone drinking less than that who was then labelled a 'binge drinker' which of course most of the nation is if the guidelines are based on 6 units in one sitting....however you have had no issues with dependence (proven as you quit by yourself), haven't been detoxed etc etc & what they exactly class as 'misuse' remains to be seen as someone might simply enjoy having a bottle of wine and therefore are they misusing it?

I would be very surprised if your main test came back with a reading over 2.2% by the time you have your main medical...They don't expect people to be teetotal of course but they will ask when your last drink was and how much you drank on that occasion....but perhaps your last drink amount was less than 18 units :)

All the best...
Moodle

Just found this

http://privatebloodtests.co.uk/epag...ops/www_privatebloodtests_co_uk/Products/CDTR

They are doing the CDT privately for £80, that is nearly half the price the dvla doctor quoted !!!

I sure it will be of use to someone.

Hope its ok to post the link

I checked the place I booked mine through and it has gone up considerably (£121 now), I can only assume they have realised that this is now the DVLA test method so are milking it appreciating it was less than £80 in October 2013 and the nurse taking blood had to go off and find someone to decide which coloured tube to use as it was such an uncommon test.... I have to say I am not impressed that this doctor is milking people who are going through a stressful enough time worrying about their medicals..seems a bit unethical to me.

Moodle

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked the place I booked mine through and it has gone up considerably (£121 now), I can only assume they have realised that this is now the DVLA test method so are milking it appreciating it was less than £80 in October 2013 and the nurse taking blood had to go off and find someone to decide which coloured tube to use as it was such an uncommon test.... I have to say I am not impressed that this doctor is milking people who are going through a stressful enough time worrying about their medicals..seems a bit unethical to me.

Moodle

Indeed Moodle, one mans problem becomes another mans profit - but thats life.

As someone that needs to drive for work purposes, mobile on site engineer, I have had to employ a driver through my ban, its a small price to pay. The alternative is to risk being banned for a further 6 / 12 months - Now that would hurt.

Hi guys - I'm really sorry for jumping on your thread. I have read all of your comments which have been very helpful to my own situation. Firstly can I say good luck to everyone involved in this distressful messy time. Secondly, I was wondering if I could pick your brains. I have posted on my own thread but this might be quicker as I'm due for medical tomorrow. I will paste my thread details.
Hello - I'm looking for any information regarding this test. I am high risk due to two offences in 10 years. I was banned for 4years with 10 months reduced for attending the rehabilitation course. My ban is up at the end of March and I cannot wait. I am not dependent nor a heavy drinker, however, I drink a few units of vodka per day .. probably 4/5units, plus I have the occasional binge. I abstained from drinking 9 days ago and my medical is this Friday the 7th Feb. During this time I have been taking Milk Thistle, B12, Q10 & Omega 3 plus fresh lemon juice (All of these were recommended to me to flush my liver through) I eat healthily and exercise regular. I am absolutely petrified that my blood test will fail. Any help, advice would be greatly received. Ps. I could put my medical back a week which would perhaps give me a bit more 'healthy liver' time but I then run the risk of the results and DVLA's decision not being back in time. (Approx 7 weeks is needed)

Pinky,
I depends on how honest you are being with yourself about the 4 to 5 units daily..... , is that a genuine amount, or what you aim for....? Do you have a lunch time "top up" as well? How often is the "occasional" binge?
without answers to the above, it is difficult to say how the medical will go. The 9 days abstinence is good, but the result it likely to depend on how long you have been drinking within reasonable limits rather than that.
i would suggest you go for a weeks delay in the medical if you can, it can only increase your chances of passing.
Don't worry about the possible delay in getting your licence back as if the driving date comes any you have not had the results then you can ask to drive under a Section 88 licence while the process continues, so there will be no delay.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off