DVLA medical

Convicted Driver Insurance

Leedoney

Hi guys i received a 2yr ban for stupidly refusing to provide a sample of breath. I served 18 months after a course. Anyway i had my medical friday (9/8/2013) and after having read this site I'm worried. I had a drink 2 nights before (1can) and went out on the beer a week before. Prior to this i went out once or twice a fortnight (weekends only) and i only drink lager. Am i going to fail, i assumed id be fine as I'm sure i don't have liver damage. But i do regularly drink for one night on weekends. If i seen this site sooner i would have abstained from alcohol for a few weeks prior. Someone please advise.

A good drinking session once per week should be ok to pass the CDT test. I do not think you have anything to worry about providing what you say you have drunk is true.

My medical was 4 days earlier than yours and the results arrived back to DVLA on the 7th August. I phoned them today but they would not tell me anything and I have been waiting 10 months just for a renewal.

Please let us know when your licence arrives. I think you are looking at 2-3 weeks from now.

Hi bristol.Red thanks for swift reply, i will definitely keep you posted. I havent taken any milk thistle or supplements etc as i say i assume myself to be healthy as not an alcoholic. Fingers crossed. Sounds like your real close keep me posted also.

I havent taken any milk thistle or supplements etc as i say i assume myself to be healthy as not an alcoholic. Fingers crossed. Sounds like your real close keep me posted also.

I have not read anywhere that milk thistle or any other supplements will lower the CDT test. I do believe it might help you feel better if taken regularly for a several weeks the same as other supplements help in other ways.

Yes I will keep you informed about my case but it will not be on this thread. It will be here: http://www.forum.drinkdriving.org/general-discussion/53919-4.htm

Hi Guys

I had the CDT test the 8th of august and was really worried as I partied for four days the previous week as my medical kit had not arrived. I abstained for 6 days and my CDT test is <0.5% this is a fantastic result and i party most weekends... I took milk thistle and two litres of water everyday... this test is very stressful !!! You can ask them for your reslut over the phone for the CDT test at the advisor can consult the medical team as they did with me.... good luck

Hi lucky 13 thanks for letting me know, well done in passing. Perhaps this gives me somehope then. Although i havent ysed milk thistle i hadnt drunk heavily for a week or so before. How soon can you call for results of bloods?

Hi lucky 13 thanks for letting me know, well done in passing. Perhaps this gives me somehope then. Although i havent ysed milk thistle i hadnt drunk heavily for a week or so before. How soon can you call for results of bloods?
They get the results within a week.. You can also get a copy of your results due to the data protection act. These I have requested today by email... The result was only my CDT test so still not out of the woods yet.. I did not do a urine test just blood.

The answers they give you over the phone will depend on the advisor as they are not medically trained I just asked for the percentage for CDT. I'm not sure what other markers they are using.
M
i will keep this site updated as the information varies but this is the most up to date .. If you are worried ask your doctors for a liver function test it will show any raised levels. This is a joke as we have all paid for our mistake yet people with medical conditions can drive! Just a thought ...

Hello mate, called today l, confirmed bloods are in but not the rest. Wouldnt confirm if bloods are good either as not medicalky trained!! Should have asked for % like you!! Im calling back friday anyway. Like you i only did blood. Fingers crossed for us both!!!!

Hello mate, called today l, confirmed bloods are in but not the rest. Wouldnt confirm if bloods are good either as not medicalky trained!! Should have asked for % like you!! Im calling back friday anyway. Like you i only did blood. Fingers crossed for us both!!!!

i rang three times and just kept asking for the % they put me on hold and asked the medical team .. Request a copy by email or fax they need a signed signature !

i'm still sick with worry, just keep to the people who are currently going through these tests as they are not liver function tests any longer !!

Im calling back friday anyway, i will ask then. So the CDT isnt a liver function test then?

No it is not a liver function test ... My doctor had not heard of it I had one in feb and everything was fine. Personally I think your results will be on how your body function ie age, gender, drinking habits.

As stated before I party at weekends but the CDT level was <0.5 and I am female and this can effect the result. I don't know if they use cdt testing in conjunction with other markers that's why I had a liver function test. My results are in a question to be looked at so still not sure of the outcome but if the result is below 2.5% this is a green light for your license unless you have other medical conditions !
I would definitely ring for your percentage as early as tomorrow just say you will get someone medically trained to interpret the result.

No it is not a liver function test ... My doctor had not heard of it I had one in feb and everything was fine. Personally I think your results will be on how your body function ie age, gender, drinking habits.

As stated before I party at weekends but the CDT level was <0.5 and I am female and this can effect the result. I don't know if they use cdt testing in conjunction with other markers that's why I had a liver function test. My results are in a question to be looked at so still not sure of the outcome but if the result is below 2.5% this is a green light for your license unless you have other medical conditions !
I would definitely ring for your percentage as early as tomorrow just say you will get someone medically trained to interpret the result.

That sounds like good advice. I took the medical in July and managed to get the cdt% over the phone. I just told them that I can get someone who is qualified to interpret it for me. Obviously this is not necessary because its quite simple.

0.5% "indicates" tee total. But who cares! Well done :cool:. DVLA take ages to "scan" and "process" results but if your medical history is ok your license will drop through the door any day. Its worth it for sure

my reply can be viewed here
http://www.forum.drinkdriving.org/alcohol-discussion/56257.htm

Called today, they would not tell me the blood test % over the phone so i guess its just a waiting game. Is anyone else driving under section 88 whilst they wait? If so have you gone to the gp with a dvla medical questionaire or have you started driving straight away? I have no underlying health issues. Lucky thanks for rhe advice so far you have been great. We should find out at the same time.

That sounds like good advice. I took the medical in July and managed to get the cdt% over the phone. I just told them that I can get someone who is qualified to interpret it for me. Obviously this is not necessary because its quite simple.

0.5% "indicates" tee total. But who cares! Well done :cool:. DVLA take ages to "scan" and "process" results but if your medical history is ok your license will drop through the door any day. Its worth it for sure

Just want to confirm that you got your %over the phone as people are getting mixed responses and it's causing problems .... I did and by the looks of it you but someone has been waiting 10 months !!
Please keep me up to date as and when you get your license !!! We wait with baited breath !!!
I would also advise people to request their results by email fax or writing under the data protection act they must have a signed letter!

Hi, I have my medical this Wednesday (4th), does anyone know when I am likely to get my licence back? Also I have been told by the DVLA that I can drive under section 88 of the RTA but cannot get insurance unless I physically have my licence back, does anyone know a way around this as really want to drive as soon as my ban is up?

Hi, I have my medical this Wednesday (4th), does anyone know when I am likely to get my licence back? Also I have been told by the DVLA that I can drive under section 88 of the RTA but cannot get insurance unless I physically have my licence back, does anyone know a way around this as really want to drive as soon as my ban is up?
Hi Alfie,

I am currently driving using the letter only following my medical and got my new insurance without my licence? They haven't even asked to see it...this was through a broker via this site called Think, but the insurer is Aviva however I was charged with being Drunk in Charge of a Vehicle so its a DR40 or DR50 code (would need to check), I don't know if it is more tricky with a DR10 if that is what you have got....?

Best of luck..
Moodle

Yeah it is a DR10, I spoke to Admiral cos I managed get quite cheap insurance with them and they asked if I will actually have the photo and paper part of my licence. I will try Aviva and see what they quote me. How long has it been since your medical? I'm worried I won't pass cos have been a binge drinker for a few years but not had a drink in a month.

Yeah it is a DR10, I spoke to Admiral cos I managed get quite cheap insurance with them and they asked if I will actually have the photo and paper part of my licence. I will try Aviva and see what they quote me. How long has it been since your medical? I'm worried I won't pass cos have been a binge drinker for a few years but not had a drink in a month.

It's just over 2 weeks now.... I would imagine not drinking for an entire month would help a lot from what I have read of the CDT test.... I did pay for a private one before hand which was probably a complete waste of money as I haven't drunk for months and that came back as <0.5% with a note saying no excessive alcohol intake in the last week..erm! My understanding is it can detect alcohol abuse over potentially a 4 week plus window but abstaining for a month would surely reduce the reading considerably I would imagine and I noted someone else talking about being a binge at weekends drinker and yet scoring a low % on CDT....? I am not an expert on this....at all...

Moodle

It's just over 2 weeks now.... I would imagine not drinking for an entire month would help a lot from what I have read of the CDT test.... I did pay for a private one before hand which was probably a complete waste of money as I haven't drunk for months and that came back as <0.5% with a note saying no excessive alcohol intake in the last week..erm! My understanding is it can detect alcohol abuse over potentially a 4 week plus window but abstaining for a month would surely reduce the reading considerably I would imagine and I noted someone else talking about being a binge at weekends drinker and yet scoring a low % on CDT....? I am not an expert on this....at all...

Moodle

Licence just arrived back, so that was 18 days since the medical, with a DR40 showing on it, licence ending in 2038....photocard for 10 years...ye gods I have never been so relieved to see a driving licence!

Moodle!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off