Gp/medical

Convicted Driver Insurance

Mikey42

Can anybody help bit confused! Had a letter from the dvla saying that they were writing to my GP for additional info, this is after a medical that I attended as being an HRO. Does anybody know what additional info the dvla Are after, I've not had a drink now for 12 months and consider myself reasonably fit and healthy, due my ban to end on the 14/7/2013.

You told us last weekend that you were going to make an appointment on Tuesday with your doctor and ask why DVLA had wrote to him!!! I said "that's a good idea". What was the outcome:confused:????

Yeah saw doctor who said that they had received a letter with a questionnaire attached asking about my medical history, have I ever had any issues with drink? Have I ever attended a clinic for detox and a few other alcohol related questions to which I know I have no history of anything alcohol related,they also asked about previous blood test results in particular liver function tests of which I had one done last year as part of a medical sweep, the results came back fine with no issues at all. I'm presuming that my medical results conducted by the dvla were fine as there was no mention of them on the letter, so I'm presuming that they are just trying to see if I've ever been alcohol dependent. I asked the doctor if he could complete the form and send it back to the dvla ASAP to which he said he would , this was Monday so I'm going to leave it until middle of next week and get back on to the dvla and try and keep things moving. My ban is up on the 14/7/2013 so fingers crossed.

You said in your other thread that you have done 3 years of your ban. Were you banned for 3 years or was it 4 years and you got 12 months reduced for doing the course? If you got a 4 year ban on 1st offence I would imagine it was very serious. I wonder if DVLA might know about this and that is why they are doing extra checks on you!!! This is just a thought, perhaps our friend price1367 might be able to help us here.

I got a 3 year ban and this is my second occasion hence me being an HRO , I told the doctor in the medical that I had completely stopped drinking and have had no alcohol for nearly 12 months, I'm wondering maybe that raised suspicion in itself and the DVLA were suspicious of this and wanted to know if I maybe received detox or been on a AA course, it couldn't possibly be something as simple as just wanting to pack in the booze! That would be far to easy a solution for them?

I told the doctor in the medical that I had completely stopped drinking and have had no alcohol for nearly 12 months, I'm wondering maybe that raised suspicion in itself and the DVLA were suspicious of this and wanted to know if I maybe received detox or been on a AA course, it couldn't possibly be something as simple as just wanting to pack in the booze! That would be far to easy a solution for them?

I think this might well be the reason. It will be interesting to here from other readers of this thread, to see if DVLA are writing to everyone's doctor if they have been convicted twice in 10 years. Let's wait and see what price1367 thinks.

Yes it will be interesting to hear from other readers to see of anybody's had any similar experiences or have any knowledge of this. I'm hoping fingers crossed with my clear medical history and no history of alcohol abuse that my license may get returned to me soon.

I'm hoping fingers crossed with my clear medical history and no history of alcohol abuse that my license may get returned to me soon.

From what you have told us, I am very optimistic that you will get it back about 2 weeks after DVLA receive the reply from your doctor. Please let us know if this does happen. Oh and you WILL be able to drive under section 88 from the day your ban finishes.

It may have been said before on these forums but plenty of people, who are normal social drinkers, tend to steer clear of booze a month or two before their DVLA medical is due. It's possible to "dry out" and take various remedies to help the liver adjust to a healthy level again so if the DVLA medics get a clean bill of health report from their nominated GP they probably won't believe it and will want to know if you've always had a squeaky clean bill of health. So the best way to do that is to consult your own GP which, of course, is something they could do in the first place but why make life easy for everybody ?

As Bristol red says though, if your disqualification period is up before the DVLA pontifications are completed you are entitled to drive again if you have a valid application going through the DVLA system, which clearly you have. The law has changed recently (June 2013) but anyone convicted and disqualified before that date is still entitled to drive a vehicle after their disqualification period has ended.

Section 88 of The Road Traffic Act 1988

Driving before your licence is returned

Once DVLA has received your valid application you can drive before you receive your licence as long as you:

a) have held a Great Britain or Northern Ireland licence issued since 1 January 1976 or another exchangeable
licence
b) aren’t disqualified from driving (there are different rules for medium or large vehicles, minibus or bus drivers -
the traffic commissioner for your area will decide whether to grant your entitlement to drive these vehicles)
c) haven’t been refused a licence for medical reasons or for failing to comply with medical enquiries
d) wouldn’t be refused a licence for medical reasons (if in doubt, check with your doctor)
e) keep to any special conditions which apply to the licence

However Section 88 of The Road Traffic Act 1988 has been amended and under the new laws, drivers that are
classed as high risk offenders will no longer be able to rely on Section 88 of The Road Traffic Act 1988 in order to
drive once their disqualification has expired, if they have submitted a qualifying application and whilst they wait to
take and pass the DVLA medical examination.

Section 88 has been amended to allow drivers who have been disqualified and are classed as high risk to legally
drive ONLY IF AND WHEN they have taken and passed the DVLA medical and they have been issued with a driving
licence by the DVLA and not beforehand as was previously allowed.

NOTE: The new legislation DOES NOT APPLY where the conviction in respect to which the disqualification was
ordered was imposed before the date of which the new legislation commences. As stated previously the new
legislation commences on the 1st June 2013. The new legislation will only apply to any relevant convictions on or
after this date.

Hi All
I was banned 6yrs ago for 3yrs (wasn't driving but that's another story)
I have just called and made appointment for medical which is next week. Can anybody please advise
On my chances of getting my license back. I have had 2 convictions within 10yrs And now classed as HRO.
I Did see my GP about 6 months ago regarding Depression and my then worrying Alcohol consumption.
I haven't touched a drop for 3 weeks And also free from depression now but worried about DVLA
Contacting my GP.
Any advice regarding medical and possible chances of my license being returned much appreciated.
Thanks Guys.
:confused:

User123

You are in a very tricky situation and that is probably why you have not received a reply. Personally I suggest you read up on the dvla website in detail on the medical requirements regarding previous alcohol abuse, and also other sections that deal with mental health issues. I have not read up on it for a few years so can not give accurate advice. Last time I read, it stated abstinence or controlled drinking for a period of 6 months, with questionnaires and blood tests would probably be enough to get u a short term licence. What other medication were or are you on?

I have just read your post again and I do believe if what you are saying is true and you are no longer suffering from depression and you honestly can control your drinking and your doctor IS NOT advising you not to drive, then you have a very good chance of getting a short term licence for 12 months. However if your doctor is advising you not to drive at this time in your life, then do not even waste your money on the DVLA medical, because if you answer the questions honestly, they will write to your GP even if you pass the medical. Then the chances are they will take your doctors advice and refuse you a licence.

User123

You are in a very tricky situation and that is probably why you have not received a reply. Personally I suggest you read up on the dvla website in detail on the medical requirements regarding previous alcohol abuse, and also other sections that deal with mental health issues. I have not read up on it for a few years so can not give accurate advice. Last time I read, it stated abstinence or controlled drinking for a period of 6 months, with questionnaires and blood tests would probably be enough to get u a short term licence. What other medication were or are you on?

I have just read your post again and I do believe if what you are saying is true and you are no longer suffering from depression and you honestly can control your drinking and your doctor IS NOT advising you not to drive, then you have a very good chance of getting a short term licence for 12 months. However if your doctor is advising you not to drive at this time in your life, then do not even waste your money on the DVLA medical, because if you answer the questions honestly, they will write to your GP even if you pass the medical. Then the chances are they will take your doctors advice and refuse you a licence.

Thanks for your prompt reply bristol red. I no longer take any Medication (was taking Fluoxetine for Depression) Not taken any for 6 months and I'm not aware of any recommendations from him that I shouldn't drive. My main concern is that I told my GP that I had a Drink problem at the time and sought some Counselling. I now only drink in relative moderation and will never go near a vehicle while under the influence again.
Do they always contact your GP? What are your thoughts on my chances of getting license back?
By the time I have my Medical it will be 4 weeks dry.
Any advice much appreciated.

I'm no expert medically speaking 123 but if you have the slightest doubt you wont pass the DVLA medical then cancel the appointment claiming last minute holiday in the sun or funeral to go or whatever but make sure the excuse is plausible. Then I'd find a laboratory (without links to the Government) that does blood/urine tests and pay to have them done privately and without your GP knowing. If the results are good then rearrange the DVLA medical asap and keep off the booze meanwhile.

If the results arent good then bear in mind, apart from stopping drinking, you can also change your diet to help cleanse your liver plus there's always a liver detox option Whatever you do dont let the DVLA test you until you know the odds are in your favour. I've tried posting links to various labs that offer tests but this site doesnt seem to like them so just Google it ?

User123 said:
Do they always contact your GP? What are your thoughts on my chances of getting license back?
By the time I have my Medical it will be 4 weeks dry.
Any advice much appreciated.

User123, now you have explained things in more detail, providing dvla do not contact your doctor and depending on your answers to the questionnaire, I personally believe you may get your licence issued till your 70. This thread might help you http://www.forum.drinkdriving.org/general-discussion/53919.htm . However, I do not work for dvla and this is just my own personal opinion.

It is a pity that a lot of the people who read these threads just get the info they are interested in and never reply back or contribute once they have got their driving licences back. I am still wondering if dvla have now decided to write to every ones GP after a medical if they are a HRO.

Sorry I can not help any more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there well stil waiting to hear from the DVLA, my doctor received a letter from them on the 24/6/2013 and after a conversation with my doctor she informed me that she would send it back to the DVLA the next day and forward me a copy of the letter with her answers to the questions for me to look at. I got this letter a few days later, She has answered no to all of the questions on the letter alcohol dependent no! Ever been on detox no! As the patient ever recieved treatment for alcohol dependency no! But there is a question asking has your patient ever been advised to modify his drinking behaviour or abstain from alcohol? To which she answered Yes! Stating that back in 2005 I had a bout of depression to which I was prescribed with some anti-depressants that being the reason that she advised me to abstain from alcohol because of the medication not that I was drinking too much. Still worried slightly but more confident than before that I will get my license back , but when? I'm not sure!

Hi there well stil waiting to hear from the DVLA, my doctor received a letter from them on the 24/6/2013 and after a conversation with my doctor she informed me that she would send it back to the DVLA the next day and forward me a copy of the letter with her answers to the questions for me to look at. I got this letter a few days later, She has answered no to all of the questions on the letter alcohol dependent no! Ever been on detox no! As the patient ever recieved treatment for alcohol dependency no! But there is a question asking has your patient ever been advised to modify his drinking behaviour or abstain from alcohol? To which she answered Yes! Stating that back in 2005 I had a bout of depression to which I was prescribed with some anti-depressants that being the reason that she advised me to abstain from alcohol because of the medication not that I was drinking too much. Still worried slightly but more confident than before that I will get my license back , but when? I'm not sure!

Mikey42, thank you for the update, it really does help us all. Personally I do not think you have much to worry about. If you only get a 12 month licence, I'm sure next time round you will get it till ur 70. I'm inclined to think you might get it till ur 70 this time around .

Thanks , I will keep you updated, like I said I am quietly confident that I will get it back until I'm 70, just playing the waiting game now.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off