Please help - arrested at home

Convicted Driver Insurance

johnsf102

Hello all -

my story is that I drank a can of beer and went to the shop to get some supplies - when I reversed my car to go home it slightly nudged the bumper of the car behind me who was parked at the pumps - the space was very tight and the car was parked a bit further back than it should have been - I got out and waited for the owner - we looked over the car and she agreed nothing seemed to be wrong at all - she asked for my number anyhow which I duly gave along with my address/name.

The till assistant from the garage came out and started having a go at me and was the lady that owned the car ok - I took no notice and drove home.

This till assistant had previously called the police after my husband had gone to the shop but she waited an hour before she called them - as my husband said so he would have drunk more and be over the limit - he was arrested at home and to cut a long story short bailed and then they dropped it.

So, yes, I hear you say - shop somewhere else - well naive as I was I didn't - 3 months later.

So I go home and low and behold this till assistant phones me an hour later and says (bearing in mind she shouldn't have my details - I gave them over to the driver of the vehicle) I completely scratched the other ladies car and she had it on CCTV and she would be making a claim and she (the till lady) had called the police.

Within this time (before she phoned) I got extremely anxious and upset at how she had treated me and drank more - yes stupid but I was at home - the police came at 5.00 pm and arrested me after I blew 92.

I fully cooperated with them at all times.

However I asked for a duty solicitor because my husband wasn't home and I hadn't spoken to him - this was at 6.00 pm after the formal breath test which came out slightly higher 96. The lady that put me in the cell said that I would be out by 10.30 to be interviewed. I asked to phone my husband and he said he had got onto his solicitor and the solictor would be phoning the police station.

I told this to the lady and she said I wasn't allowed to change solicitors and the duty solicitor would be with me shortly.

Led back down to the cell again - they had to check on me every half an hour so I counted to when it was 10.30 and asked why I had not seen a solicitor.

She said he was busy and scheduled to be with me soon and again and again and then at 1.00ish am - what?

As you can imagine it as a long night.

I couldn't sleep - I wasn't heavily intoxicated despite the reading.

I saw the solicitor at 1.30 and we chatted and then we did the interview with the police.

It was fine but they wanted to document fully exactly what I had drunk ie water etc. 6 hours before the incident to the second and I found myself just making up times as how can you remember what you drank at what time - be it water, coffee, tea or alcohol. In the end after looking at the solicitor he said just within the timescale from when she got home. Looking back I should have said this at the beginning but you try and be as helpful as you can don't you.

The solicitor seemed to think I was just about ok to make up the deficit - bearing in mind I was in my home just trying to watch the tv and have a few drinks on a Friday night.

One thing I don't understand was that the solictor said to me once the police had gone to the next room was that the toxicology report was at 6.00 and it was rising so that was good - surely that is bad?

We go with the two policemen downstairs and immediately before they have even talked to the sergeant he says we are bailing this woman which I found a bit odd.

I later learnt that both my husband's solictor and my husband had been onto the police station and timings were that as soon as they phoned something was done but when the policeman kindly drove me home and I entered the house my husband said that he had just called the station and a policeman was standoffish and a bit reticent to say anything but eventually said that I was still being interviewed. My husband was relieved to see me and called his solicitor (who was asleep) and he said yes there is so much wrong with the handling of your wife - ie she was not allowed proper access to a solicitor or her solicitor (who would have gone straight away to the station not 7 hours later but they refused this) within a certain time - and the police have the wrong timings from the accident at the shop because the till lady phoned an hour or so later - the whole thing seemed a shambles.

Should it go to court I would be fine.

Now I am paranoid about anything to do with the police and I do not understand the whole counting back how many "units" you have had since you got home to see whether you were over the limit when you drove - I understand weight, gender, when you have eaten take a part in this but how can they correctly ascertain and prove in a court of law. I had been drinking a liqueur and I didnt know what measure it was when they tried to ask what measure - I said I don't know what a pub measure was exactly but it seemed a lot - can my case taken to court reliably let alone the rest of the problems as detailed about.

I also take a lot of medical drugs - hormone replacement for my thyroid that was taken out, anti-depressants, anxiety drugs and a skin antibotic and take them all every morning - when I said that the policeman smiled as though oh right of course you do that as though that is going to be another hurdle to a court case but perhaps I am paranoid - it was 1.30 in the morning.

Sorry for the long essay.

I am bailed until February but cannot sleep for worry even though my husband says nothing can be proved.

Any advice/stories of others arrested at home on suspicion Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However one thing I have learnt to the good is that I am never ever having anything to drink before driving.

NB the driver of the car I bumped has not claimed or contacted me a week and a bit later.

Many thanks

Last edited:
Hi there, just reed your story and I think it's all very harsh in whats happened to you. If I remember correctly you said you had 1 can of beer then went to the shop. I know a bloke that had a very similar story to yours. Anyway cut a long story short, he had 1 pint at the pub and drove home and clipped someone's wing mirror. When he got home he carried on drinking and 2 hours later police knocked the door. They arrested him as he blew 72 on the breath test. The thing is its very hard to prove that at a court that you was that over the limit. The bloke I know was aquited at court due to lack of evidence, what has you solicitor said?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off