Hro medical

Convicted Driver Insurance

Fruity

I have had my licence back 7months and like others have been called for a medical..i dont hardly drink at all now maybe 6 beers once a month so am confident of passing but i smoke a couple of jounts a nite.what happens if this is detected in my medical?

then the DVLA will get a big stick and start probing in to other areas - itll probs be picked up in a pee test. If you have enough time til the medical, jack it in for a good while. Its up to you whether you declare it on the questionairre but if you do they'll get you back for more stuff or maybe write to your doctor

I have had my licence back 7months and like others have been called for a medical..i dont hardly drink at all now maybe 6 beers once a month so am confident of passing but i smoke a couple of jounts a nite.what happens if this is detected in my medical?
ignore the other comment mate, just passed mine. had my license back 12 months( b4 the dreaded letter turned up). i had no pee test. never stopped drinking, either. Doc asked about drugs, told him i smoked cannabis recreationally for last 18 years, which was put on the form sent back to the dvla. I didn't use milk thistle, loads of veg and water etc or abstain from alcohol. i was convinced i would lose my license from what i had read on this forum.
The letter i received from the dvla was no more than 2 sentenaces, saying that i had passed.

panic over,

@Bobster, hi i had my medical what will be two weeks on tuesday, the doc was very nice, i had no pee test either,had my licence back 3 years,which seems daft am now waiting nervously for my results,only 3 days to go am nervous as hell, do they make you wait 2 whole weeks then??? Thing is,as my own doctor said,as i already have my licence how would they take it off me as ive not broken any laws or committed any offence,it's not illegal to drink or how does having a bad liver make you a bad driver???? my Gp reckons its all a money making scam by the government,however, in the mean time im still crapping myself awaiting the results...glad all went well for you.

@Bobster, hi i had my medical what will be two weeks on tuesday, the doc was very nice, i had no pee test either,had my licence back 3 years,which seems daft am now waiting nervously for my results,only 3 days to go am nervous as hell, do they make you wait 2 whole weeks then??? Thing is,as my own doctor said,as i already have my licence how would they take it off me as ive not broken any laws or committed any offence,it's not illegal to drink or how does having a bad liver make you a bad driver???? my Gp reckons its all a money making scam by the government,however, in the mean time im still crapping myself awaiting the results...glad all went well for you.

My doctor, told me to expect my results within 6 to 8 weeks. Results came back in 2 and a half weeks. I agree that having a bad liver, can't make you a bad driver. From my understanding they are looking for heavy regular drinkers, and then they can suspend your license. I'm not sure if the dvla are treating people who had received their license back without the medical, diffrently.

i didn't really seee the point in lying to my doctor and the dvla medical board. They must get sick of seeing the same answers on their forms. That nobody really drinks any more, or has ever touched a drug in their whole life. And that they are now monks or nuns, following the lord and looking for enlightment.

i know the wait's a nightmare
good luck. hope all goes well.

Hi noticed you have said you have had your licence back then they sent you for a medical. I have just sent off for my licence, I understand I will have to take a medical but will I be allowed to drive in the meantime or do I have to wait until I pass the medical. My actual ban finished last november but I didnt apply for my licence at the time, I would be grateful for any advice please.

yeah by law you are allowed to drive whilst awaiting the medical and providing the date of your ban has expired and you have your full UK license back. There's info on the dvla website and several posts on this site which directs you to the actual page. I dont have it to hand sorry but you can definitely drive.

Thanks for that info but my understanding is they will not issue a licence until I have passed the medical. Does that mean even though I have applied and sent the payment to them I still am not allowed to drive even though my ban finished last November. I thought that I would be able to drive even though I physically dont have the licence back, as my application is going through the system. I understand i have to have a medical but that could take sometime and I really need to drive as my wife is seriously ill in hospital and I live in a rural area. I have heard of people being issued with a letter from the dvla stating they can drive untill the results of the medical is this legal and true. I keep trying to call the dvla but they are allways busy. I would appreciate any info especially from someone who is qualified in traffic law.

Thanks for that info but my understanding is they will not issue a licence until I have passed the medical. Does that mean even though I have applied and sent the payment to them I still am not allowed to drive even though my ban finished last November. I thought that I would be able to drive even though I physically dont have the licence back, as my application is going through the system. I understand i have to have a medical but that could take sometime and I really need to drive as my wife is seriously ill in hospital and I live in a rural area. I have heard of people being issued with a letter from the dvla stating they can drive untill the results of the medical is this legal and true. I keep trying to call the dvla but they are allways busy. I would appreciate any info especially from someone who is qualified in traffic law.

Please see the bottom of this page about Section 88 of The Road Traffic Act 1988. I would always advise people to contact the DVLA directly in order for their legal entitlement to drive to be clarified. I know it can be difficult to get through to them, but its not impossible.

Thanks for that info, I have tried to call them but to no avail all I got was prerecorded information. On that it does state that if a valid application is made with the appropriate fee then I can drive until the licence is approved. Does it mean my application is not valid as I have to have a medical due to being a HRO case or is it valid because I have applied and sent the appropriate fee for renewal, it is so confusing even a solicitor couldnt tell me I am so confused now I dont want to get caught driving without a licence I just want to stay legal. I still cant understand why the DVLA have the power to stop someone driving just because they think the person just might in the future drive under the influence. This is being victimised by the powers that be and being told you cannot drive just in case you break the law. Has nobody challenged this in the court of human rights or is it too expensive to go down that route. It is the same as being told you must go to prison just in case you rob someone, it doesnt mean you are going to do it, I would think most D/D offenders wouldnt dream of driving under the influence again, I certainly wouldnt, sorry for going on a bit but it really makes me mad.:confused::confused:

Thanks for that info, I have tried to call them but to no avail all I got was prerecorded information. On that it does state that if a valid application is made with the appropriate fee then I can drive until the licence is approved. Does it mean my application is not valid as I have to have a medical due to being a HRO case or is it valid because I have applied and sent the appropriate fee for renewal, it is so confusing even a solicitor couldnt tell me I am so confused now I dont want to get caught driving without a licence I just want to stay legal. I still cant understand why the DVLA have the power to stop someone driving just because they think the person just might in the future drive under the influence. This is being victimised by the powers that be and being told you cannot drive just in case you break the law. Has nobody challenged this in the court of human rights or is it too expensive to go down that route. It is the same as being told you must go to prison just in case you rob someone, it doesnt mean you are going to do it, I would think most D/D offenders wouldnt dream of driving under the influence again, I certainly wouldnt, sorry for going on a bit but it really makes me mad.:confused::confused:

Your cover will start as soon as your application is received at DVLA, providing you meet the following criteria:

• a valid driving licence application has been received by and is held at the DVLA
  • you must have held a GB or Northern Ireland licence issued since 1 January 1976 or another exchangeable licence
  • you keep to any special conditions which may apply to you, and to your licence
  • you are not disqualified from driving

Where a driving licence has been revoked previously for medical reasons then Section 88 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 entitlement does not apply.

However, again, I strongly advise you to contact the DVLA directly to clarify matters and put your mind at ease. They can send you a cover note if you are legally entitled to drive and until your fitness to drive can be determined.

Thanks for that information that is exactly what I was looking for it is just as I thought. I am quite happy to do that and I will wait for the dvla to inform me they have received my application. Will post later on how I get on for the benefit of anyone else who is in the same situation.:)

Hi. Just doing my alcohol awareness training and as a HRO I have to do a medical. No prons, but What I was interesyed to learn on the course is that the dvla are insisting on a hair folical test as well as blood. Can anyone shed light on this. My initial thought is that if you had used any drugs even one off 6 or 12 months before you are being judged on something you weren't banned for + the dvla don't mention this on there paperwork. Any thoughts.

Does anyone know if drugs are tested for in this HRO medical. I was banned for drink driving and will shortly be taking the medical (2 weeks time) I have hardly drank in a year and don't do drugs. But have dappled in the past.

Does anyone know if drugs are tested for in this HRO medical. I was banned for drink driving and will shortly be taking the medical (2 weeks time) I have hardly drank in a year and don't do drugs. But have dabbled in the past.

Does anyone know if drugs are tested for in this HRO medical. I was banned for drink driving and will shortly be taking the medical (2 weeks time) I have hardly drank in a year and don't do drugs. But have dabbled in the past.
I wouldnt worry about any drug tests they are only interested in your drinking habits and if you are suffering from any liver disease. As long as you are in good health and have not had a drink for a few weeks [ saying that I was drinking regularly up to a week before the medical and I passed easily ] you should pass ok.
Good luck and dont drink and drive.....................

They only test for drugs if you tell them about it.
I had my HRO medical, I drink on weekends. I also smoke pot, only on an evening. The week before the medical I still smoked pot. I took the medical & when they asked if I took any drugs I said Brufen for my arm. The female doctor did ask spe officially about weed & asked if I had ever smoked it. After reading this forum I said no.
My licence came thru the post a week later no probs at all.

I would usually say honesty is the best policy, but in regards to the medical I'm sorry to say your best saying nothing.

I maybe judged, but I see more problems with alcohol than I do pot. I'd obviuosly never drive under the influence of any substance.

Just wanted to post as it was thru threads on this forum I was able to take the medical & not worry.

I didn't have a urine test just a blood test. The urine test is for diabetes, if the Dr suspects drugs they will call you back to give a witnessed urine sample, the sample at first medical is to check for glucose & ketones not drugs.

It's ace driving again, good luck to others out there doing there medical.

Hi. Just doing my alcohol awareness training and as a HRO I have to do a medical. No prons, but What I was interesyed to learn on the course is that the dvla are insisting on a hair folical test as well as blood. Can anyone shed light on this. My initial thought is that if you had used any drugs even one off 6 or 12 months before you are being judged on something you weren't banned for + the dvla don't mention this on there paperwork. Any thoughts.

Not 100% sure if the dvla would, but a hair follicle test costs about £1500 so not sure if it would be financially viable.

However, a one off in the last 6 to 12 months wouldn't show up in a hair follicle test. It would be well below the cut off levels

Furthermore, Even the the hair test can be fooled also by bleaching and redying. So nothing is 100% certain

I can only suggest that you contact DVLA in order to clarify that a) they have received a valid driving licence application from you and b) in order for them to clarify your right to drive under section 88. Although frustrating, it is better to be 100% sure rather than risk driving illegally.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off