DVLA Medical - How it goes

Convicted Driver Insurance

cjmh2004

Hey, new to this forum but wanted to give anyone who needs it an overview of how the medical goes. Im sure everyone has different experiences depending on he Dr/Clinic etc.

Anyway, had my medical on the 27th January 2012. Had my license back since November 2008 but apparantly my details were never transferred to the DLVA from the courts so they didnt know I was part of the HRO scheme. Anyway, after 3 years and 2 months of clean, faultless driving I had to go for the medical. They sent me a letter on the 21st December (so nice Xmas present) to advise me that I needed to attend and I called them straight away - I asked what they were testing, what they asked etc and the guy on the phone just simply said, "If the blood tests are fine you then you'll be fine". Simple!

Attended a very posh private clinic near me (did make me think what I was missing on the NHS ;-)) Arrived promptly, showed the nurse my passport and DVLA letter and filled out the application form (medical questionairre). This took about 5 minutes, asks your name, dob, address, doctor, any medication, when you last drunk, how much, what was the drink etc etc. Also any clinics you've attended for alcohol, any problems in the last 3 years or alcohol abuse in the past 6 months - all of which I answered NO as Ive obviously had my license for over 3 years. If you take medication or any drugs. Then filled my urine sample bottle (Id drink plenty before you attend as I doubt they'll be that patient if you're there for 2 hours trying to pee.)

The doctor was 25 minutes late but the nurse decided to start without him. Got weighed and my height taken first of all (dont suppose you can get that bit wrong so good start). Then she tested my pee which she said was absolutely fine. Next was blood pressure (she said 120/70 was perfect) - mine was 130/80 which is a high normal (no cause for alarm) but the nurse did say that they acknowledge people are tense when getting these things done so it being a bit higher is usually normal. So that appeared fine.

Took 2 vials of blood, got a biscuit and a drink of juice then the Dr showed up. He spent 10 minutes looking for his stethoscope which turned out to be right behind him and then another 5 trying to figure out if his pen was writing in black or blue ink - eventually asking me what colour I thought the ink looked. So I had my uses for my £96. He got me to lift my jumper, checked my front and back with the stethoscope then had a good squeeze of my stomack/liver/kidney area which he said was fine. Told me it would take about 2/3 weeks to hear back from the DVLA (today is only the 10th day and Ive not heard yet so I suppose thats as expected). Nurse did say the results are returned to the clinic where the test is done and they send all the results etc over to the DLVA.

Prior to the test I hadn't had any alcohol since September 11 so 4 month without (and still counting). Kinda glad I went through a midlife crisis in September and decided to jack it anyway - although the results of the blood tests can be unpredictable at best (from reading some stuff online and other forum posts). In all fairness, my uncle nearly died in September from being a daily drinker and ended up on life support until about 6 weeks ago so it was a bit of a kick up the backside to start treating my body better in general. Im only in my early thirties but who knows what you can do to your liver in your 20's when you feel invincible. I asked him if he also had to test my eyesight and he said no he didnt do that!! I was almost certain they did so lets wait and see if the DVLA are keen to have that. Pee test is compulsory irrespective of how you answer the questions.

In the month up to the medical I was drinking plenty of water (still am) - I haven't done any specific exercise or changed my diet as Im quite thin (which Ive been my whole life) so eating lettuce would finallly see me disappear. I did take milk thistle for 2 weeks (1ml three times a day - was the liquid and not the tablets, although not sure if there's any difference). Stopped taking it about 2 days prior to the medical. I haven't taken any prescription medication in nearly as long as I haven't drunk, minus some rennies for heartburn about 14 weeks ago. Some tablets (like omeprizole (excuse the spelling) can cause some of the levels to soar so just watch what medication you're taking). It will definitely be in your best interest to put medication on the form if you're taking any as that might explain some increased markers to the DVLA

You'll read loads of stuff on the forums about how to best prepare for it but really everyone is different and there's no 'one size fits all' approach. Im still very nervous as even with 4 months of not drinking its impossible to say what can cause any of the markers to be off. They test for MCV (blood volume), GGT, AST and ALT. They're all possible signs of alcohol abuse but not conclusive although if all 4 of them were over I think you'd be seeing your own doctor for medical advice anyway. I reckon you must be allowed to be over on at least 1 of them although who knows with the DVLA.

Anyway, Ill put a further post up when I hear back from them. Good luck to everyone out their in the same position.

cheers

Just an update to say that I passed the medical. Got the letter today stating "From the information we have received you satisfy the medical standards for safe driving. I am pleased to tell you that you may keep your driving licence".

I did phone them this morning and they confirmed the results and then the letter came in the post a few hours later. The guy on the phone said that the matter has now been dropped. The letter is dated the 8th Feb and I went for my medical on the 27th January so they turned it around within 12 days! They did tell me though that if the GP practice you go to posts your details rather than faxing them it can add 2 weeks to the process so that might be worthwhile asking when you get the medical - how they send the results to the DVLA as it can double how long you'll wait to hear back

Thanks for the info, was informative. So they tested your urine on the stop? Thought they would have to send it away to a lab or something.

PaulMcartney,
CJMH2004 posted this 2 years 8 months ago, and has not made any posts for 2 1/2 years so I doubt you will get a reply from him.
Generally these days urine is not tested, unless there are grounds to suspect drugs use. There is a single blood test now for CDT levels, which has replaced the old Liver Function test as it is deemed to be a more accurate indication of your body being affected by alcohol.

can anyone help please
my disqualification ended in 2008
i recently applied to get my license back and been told i have to have a medical
looking on line medicals are required if conviction was after 2013?

No, medicals are required for High Risk Offenders no matter when their conviction was.
The only thing that changed in 2013 is that if you were convicted on or after 1st June that year, you could no longer use a loophole that allowed you to drive once your application for a medical had been submitted, even though you had not had the medical.
In your case, once you have submitted your application, (giving them a few days to receive it) contact DVLA and tell them that you want to drive under Section 88 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 pending your medical. Ask them to write to you, by letter or email confirming this and you can then drive pending the outcome of your medical. This applies so long as your doctor has not indicated to you that you shouldn't drive at the moment.

No, medicals are required for High Risk Offenders no matter when their conviction was.
The only thing that changed in 2013 is that if you were convicted on or after 1st June that year, you could no longer use a loophole that allowed you to drive once your application for a medical had been submitted, even though you had not had the medical.
In your case, once you have submitted your application, (giving them a few days to receive it) contact DVLA and tell them that you want to drive under Section 88 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 pending your medical. Ask them to write to you, by letter or email confirming this and you can then drive pending the outcome of your medical. This applies so long as your doctor has not indicated to you that you shouldn't drive at the moment.

thank you for explaining
i got really confused after reading different bits
neil

Yeah I have to go for a urine test in 2 weeks. Just would like the results before Christmas so im not worrying over the holidays.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off