Insurance companies clawing back third party costs?

Convicted Driver Insurance

perks

Hi,

At the start of the month I drove back after a heavy night in town, I took a bend too fast and crashed into a parked car, which then in turn was pushed into another parked car that was tightly parked next to it.

I understand that I will not be covered but from what I've heardf and also been sent in a letter frmo Admiral is that they say 'they reserve the right to ask for the monies spent on claimants'. From what I hear, sometimes they do claw back the costs and sometimes they don't. Is this true? Also, if so, does anyone have any experience with this? I am with Admiral!

Thanks

I would be interested in finding out this too, the 3rd parties' insurance company have written to me to say estimates for the wall I hit are £20000!!! I contacted my insurance company who said they would pay for the wall (after sending out their own loss adjuster as I had a quote done for it and it was estimated at £7k), they said my BROKER would seek to reclaim the 3rd party costs from me. HOWEVER, there is nothing in their paperwork that says they reserve the right to claim third party costs back from me in the event that I drive illegally (not just drink driving). ALSO, if I am expected to pay for the 3rd party costs, surely I should be able to have some input as to the quotes they accept, it apears to me that the third party are trying to get their whole wall replaced for £20k and not just repair the damage I caused.
And before anyone says anything, I am prepared to pay for the damage I caused, but not to be taken total advantage of and have the price racked up 3 or 4 times just because it is an insurance claim.... Does anyone else have experience of this? thanks ...:confused:

I would be interested in finding out this too, the 3rd parties' insurance company have written to me to say estimates for the wall I hit are £20000!!! I contacted my insurance company who said they would pay for the wall (after sending out their own loss adjuster as I had a quote done for it and it was estimated at £7k), they said my BROKER would seek to reclaim the 3rd party costs from me. HOWEVER, there is nothing in their paperwork that says they reserve the right to claim third party costs back from me in the event that I drive illegally (not just drink driving). ALSO, if I am expected to pay for the 3rd party costs, surely I should be able to have some input as to the quotes they accept, it apears to me that the third party are trying to get their whole wall replaced for £20k and not just repair the damage I caused.
And before anyone says anything, I am prepared to pay for the damage I caused, but not to be taken total advantage of and have the price racked up 3 or 4 times just because it is an insurance claim.... Does anyone else have experience of this? thanks ...:confused:

My son is being pursued by Admiral for £24k and there seems to be a number of others in a similar position.

Please PM me and I will share what I know.

hi just wanted to find out how your situation with admiral has developed. im in a similar position with them wanting to recover costs from me. im dreading the indemnity letter through the post but know its coming, they have already told me they are seeking costs.

any advice would be greatly appreciated. Even if its just knowing that you have paid or made arrangements to pay.

have you come across a story of anyone actually being taking to court?

many thanks

As far as I am aware from my own experience. Your insurance will pay out for damage to the other cars even whilst your over the drink drive limit just not your own...... I clipped a parked car (it was over the line but i was over limit so it was me liable) and was sent into a wall...the bricks then crashed into the wall owners car....my insurance company paid out for all the damage to everything. The only thing I had to do was pay off my original quote in full (as I paid monthly) if you paid p in full for the year I would assume your covered and its just a matter of the claim being paid.

p.s I was only third party fire and theft covered......I have just seen replies in regards to them claiming there costs.....I never heard a word. My insurance company paid.....I paid them ma quote. Never heard from them again. I was with Swinton

As far as I am aware from my own experience. Your insurance will pay out for damage to the other cars even whilst your over the drink drive limit just not your own...... I clipped a parked car (it was over the line but i was over limit so it was me liable) and was sent into a wall...the bricks then crashed into the wall owners car....my insurance company paid out for all the damage to everything. The only thing I had to do was pay off my original quote in full (as I paid monthly) if you paid p in full for the year I would assume your covered and its just a matter of the claim being paid.

p.s I was only third party fire and theft covered......I have just seen replies in regards to them claiming there costs.....I never heard a word. My insurance company paid.....I paid them ma quote. Never heard from them again. I was with Swinton

The Road Traffic Act ensures that your insurer pays for the third party costs. The law apparently allows this. However, your choice of insurer and their policy terms and conditions will determine whether they will seek repayment of those costs from you. The Admiral Group (Admiral/Diamond/Elephant/Bell) are the ones you read about on here. They have an aggressive approach to getting the money back. Due to the amounts involved it is usually too expensive for the average consumer to defend in court and they usually agree a repayment deal. I believe Zurich also have similar terms in some of their policies.

Most insurers take a reasonable approach in settling the third party claim and not pursuing repayment. Sadly Admiral are not reasonable more cheap and very nasty.

Depressed Dad**

How did you and your son get on with the Admiral situation? I had a similar incident back in 2010 however this week I have received a letter from Admiral asking me to repay over £16K!!

I am interested to find out how things transpired for you as it may have some bearing on how I will get on.

Thanks,

G

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off