Compare SR22 Auto Insurance Rates and Save $$$'s
SR22 Insurance Quotes

Thread: Is old law grandfathered in ?

g_wglidewell is offline New Member

Default Is old law grandfathered in ?

Follow Drinkdriving.org on:

Follow Drinkdriving.org on Facebook Follow Drinkdriving.org on Google+ Follow Drinkdriving.org on Twitter

Like our Facebook Page

I had a permanent revocation for a fourth DUI in 2001. I was told that after 5 years I could apply for a hardship license. During those five years the law changed that allowed no hardship licenses for those with a permanent revocation. The law changed again in 2011 that allowed for hardship licenses for those with permanent revocations, but required a lengthy application and interview process, and required an interlock device put on your vehicle. My question is: since my conviction was before these laws were enacted, shouldn't I be able to receive at least a hardship license without the interlock device ? Any information would be greatly appreciated, Thanks, Garry.

chris125 is offline Established Member

Default Re: Is old law grandfathered in ?

Quote Originally Posted by g_wglidewell View Post
    I had a permanent revocation for a fourth DUI in 2001. I was told that after 5 years I could apply for a hardship license. During those five years the law changed that allowed no hardship licenses for those with a permanent revocation. The law changed again in 2011 that allowed for hardship licenses for those with permanent revocations, but required a lengthy application and interview process, and required an interlock device put on your vehicle. My question is: since my conviction was before these laws were enacted, shouldn't I be able to receive at least a hardship license without the interlock device ? Any information would be greatly appreciated, Thanks, Garry.
    Garry, I don't know you, your circumstances or the path you have walked in your life. I too am a convicted drink driver so I am not a judge of others either, but I have found that once was enough for me to learn my lesson and learn it well. I see it was quite some time ago that you received your revocation and I do hope that if you are successful in obtaining a hardship license you will value it enormously. I wish you well.

duidefender is offline New Member

Default Re: Is old law grandfathered in ?

Convicted Driver Insurance Quotes
    Hi. That is a difficult question and really depends on the particular law in your State. The legal issue is whether the State can apply the law Ex-post facto which means whether a law that retroactively changes the legal consequences of actions that were committed before the enactment of the law. Everyone deserves a second chance if they can prove they deserve it. Wish you the best of luck!

Regards,
    William Umansky