Can anyone attend a DD awareness course?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Routemaster

I think its just as important that all people are educated before they make the mistake of drink driving. So is the drink driving awareness course available to anybody or only those with a conviction?

In my opinion it should be a compulsory part of the driving test and getting a licence in the first place.

I cannot speak for all the Drink Driving Course providers, but TTC do have people attending courses who are not disqualified. It is called 'self referral' and they can attend at a discount because they are not getting the benefit of a reduction by being there.

Ive attended my first out of three sessions at the DD course , I admit I entered in a full on mood.....only to be sat next to a lad I went to Primary school with..... I was in a mood reluctant to speak at first......... the facilitator gathered this...... honestly the session was amazing..... I learnt so much, but I strongly think this course should be part of the driving test. There is a guy that has been giving me a hard time on here and I have been adult and not responded, Price if you are or know a moderator please look in to it, thanks

Ally,
i am glad that you are enjoying the course.
I agree with what you say about it being a part of the learning to drive process. This is often a comment put on the feedback forms at the end of the course, but when we say this the view seems to be: " you are a training organisation.... of course you will say there should be more training"!
Realistically there are 2 problems to this approach. Firstly there would be a big difference to the mental attitude of people attending. At the moment it is people who have lost their licence, realise they have done wrong and want the carrot of a reduction in their ban. Contrast that with learners attending a course who think "I wouldn't do that anyway" and are getting no tangible benefit, other than it has to be done. They would be much more resistant to the training.
Secondly there is the problem with scale. At TTC we educate up to 10,000 drink drivers a year. There are about 54,000 people convicted a year, and 20-25,000 of them do a course. Contrast that the last figure that I saw for people taking a test per year, which is about 800,000. The logistics of arranging this, and finding the people with the skills to deliver the training, would be huge. There was an outcry a few years ago when the driving test was increased to include an element where you had to show you know where to put water and oil and how to check the tyres. Imagine the reaction when people are told that they have to take a couple of days off work to learn about drink driving..... which in their perception is something they would never do.
So whilst I agree with you, in reality it will never happen.

Ally,
i am glad that you are enjoying the course.
I agree with what you say about it being a part of the learning to drive process. This is often a comment put on the feedback forms at the end of the course, but when we say this the view seems to be: " you are a training organisation.... of course you will say there should be more training"!
Realistically there are 2 problems to this approach. Firstly there would be a big difference to the mental attitude of people attending. At the moment it is people who have lost their licence, realise they have done wrong and want the carrot of a reduction in their ban. Contrast that with learners attending a course who think "I wouldn't do that anyway" and are getting no tangible benefit, other than it has to be done. They would be much more resistant to the training.
Secondly there is the problem with scale. At TTC we educate up to 10,000 drink drivers a year. There are about 54,000 people convicted a year, and 20-25,000 of them do a course. Contrast that the last figure that I saw for people taking a test per year, which is about 800,000. The logistics of arranging this, and finding the people with the skills to deliver the training, would be huge. There was an outcry a few years ago when the driving test was increased to include an element where you had to show you know where to put water and oil and how to check the tyres. Imagine the reaction when people are told that they have to take a couple of days off work to learn about drink driving..... which in their perception is something they would never do.
So whilst I agree with you, in reality it will never happen.

Plus I guess you have a portion of people who never drink alcohol at any time or can't consume alcohol for religious or medical reasons and be tea total, it would be unfair and pointless teaching them about drink driving.

Agreed, Routemaster. Then you add in those who have never learned to drive in the UK and simply are allowed to exchange their foreign licence for a UK one. We cannot say "you can swap your licence, but only if you have alcohol education...." The reasons against do make it not viable, no matter how beneficial the outcome might seem to be.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off