Convicted Driver Insurance Quotes
OR
Call Convicted Driver Insurance Quote Line

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Drink Driving Rehabilitation Course

Default Re: The Drink Driving Rehabilitation Course

Hi All (again)

My course, which was due to start in August (2010) has just been cancelled. My court completion date ( for reduction), however, is 18th September.

I've just gone online (only got back from work tonight) and there's no locations even listed in the drop down menu. So I can't see if there's anywhere even remotely close by that I could take the course.

What can I do? I'm starting to feel really desperate now. I live in a fairly remote area, I'm desperately missing my car, relying on friends to carry me around because the transport network is ****, and I have an elderly dog who's being tested for all sorts of potential geriatric anomalies. (Not that i use that as an excuse.)

And I'm still the same peed off 'high Offender' that was too nervous to give a full sample at the Police Station. Am I really the first? Am I?

Seriously gutted. No I don't want to sit around eating Bourbon Biscuits with a bunch of people that only want to procure their next can of stella, nor do I want to sit around people who claim to know the finite unit of every drink they serve, yet still end up being done for drink driving.

Sometimes admitting you're wrong is a way forward?

I think I digressed. Another question, I don't need to retake my test do I? There was no mention of points or anything at my trial, does that mean they're non existant?

Cheesrs

Forum Moderator is offline Global Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Anothersillyfool View Post
    Hi All (again)

My course, which was due to start in August (2010) has just been cancelled. My court completion date ( for reduction), however, is 18th September.

I've just gone online (only got back from work tonight) and there's no locations even listed in the drop down menu. So I can't see if there's anywhere even remotely close by that I could take the course.

What can I do? I'm starting to feel really desperate now. I live in a fairly remote area, I'm desperately missing my car, relying on friends to carry me around because the transport network is ****, and I have an elderly dog who's being tested for all sorts of potential geriatric anomalies. (Not that i use that as an excuse.)

And I'm still the same peed off 'high Offender' that was too nervous to give a full sample at the Police Station. Am I really the first? Am I?

Seriously gutted. No I don't want to sit around eating Bourbon Biscuits with a bunch of people that only want to procure their next can of stella, nor do I want to sit around people who claim to know the finite unit of every drink they serve, yet still end up being done for drink driving.

Sometimes admitting you're wrong is a way forward?

I think I digressed. Another question, I don't need to retake my test do I? There was no mention of points or anything at my trial, does that mean they're non existant?

Cheesrs
    You do not receive points for driving with excess alcohol if you were disqualified from driving for the offence. Unless the Magistrates stipulated you had to re-take your driving test, you will not have too.

As for the course being cancelled, sometimes, if course providers do not get enough people enrolled on a particular course, it is cancelled. Unfortunately, if you havent completed the course by the date you were instructed to complete it, regardless of the reason, then your period of disqualification will not be reduced. It is always wise to not leave completing the course to the very last minute for this reason.

I would suggest ringing them and seeing what courses are available in other areas, even if it involves a lot of travelling in order to attend.

Regards
    Forum Moderator

UK - UK Drink Driving Laws | Drink Driving Solicitors | Convicted Drivers Insurance | BAC Calculator | FREE Legal Advice

U.S. - US DUI Drunk Driving Laws | US DUI Lawyers & Attorneys | SR22 Auto Insurance | BAC Calculator | FREE Lawyer Consultation

International - Worldwide BAC Limits Maximum legal prescribed blood alcohol content limits for over 250 countries & jurisdictions

I recently booked my course. Living near Southampton gave me several options which was good. I chose the Saturday course so I would not have to take time off work and waste my annual leave. The course starts at 9am and finishes at 3pm. For some reason I assumed it was for two days but it is actually three Saturdays in a row - more reason for not taking time off in the week. Also, I noticed there were no weekday evening courses available.

On the positive side, I am grateful the court offered me the opportunity to attend a course and reduce my driving ban.

Having attended courses of a similar kind (for work-related study) I wondered if the 18-hour duration is really necessary. From what I have experienced from study modules and learnt from reading this forum topic, it sounds like the rehab course could be carried out in an 8-hour day rather than 18. The explanation of facts and figures can be explained effectively in a short space of time by a good quality lecturer. To bulk out the time, unnecessary features are generally added such as overly long and numerous lunch breaks, discussions that go off on a tangent, delays between subjects, group discussions and repetitive overviews of what has already been talked about.

I guess the course planners spread it out over such a long period to cause extra inconvenience to the participants (and please the courts) not to mention justify the expensive course fee. After all, how would they explain charging £175 for just one 8-hour day?

Overall, having not attended the course yet, I cannot prejudge but I anticipate learning something and reducing my driving ban. Now to go and post my cheque...

new_pedestrian is offline Established Member

I think there's a degree of luck involved in whether you get a good course or not. From what I've read on here it sounds like some courses are good and some not so good. What they all have in common though is that they have to cover certain information which is laid down by the Department of Transport.

The guy who gave the course I did also said that the DOT are also the ones who decided how long the course should be, as well as the rule that the course shouldn't be delivered on three consecutive days (except in "certain circumstances which weren't revealed).

I can only guess at the reasons for the length of the course. It was stressed during mine that the course isn't meant to be an additional punishment, but it does seem to me that deliberately stretching out the course beyond the time necessary would be a move someone might make if they wanted to make sure that people never get off easy with a quick course.

passenger is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by gkg View Post
    I agreed to do this course and was under the impression that I would be contacted about this but havent heard a thing in weeks - Can anyone advise what I should do? I'm not sure if I was given any contact details but I certainly have paperwork telling me to expect to be contacted by the relevant agency...?
    Hi,
    the best thing you can do is go back to the court and explain to them the situation.
    Passenger.

passenger is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andyaustralian View Post
    I recently booked my course. Living near Southampton gave me several options which was good. I chose the Saturday course so I would not have to take time off work and waste my annual leave. The course starts at 9am and finishes at 3pm. For some reason I assumed it was for two days but it is actually three Saturdays in a row - more reason for not taking time off in the week. Also, I noticed there were no weekday evening courses available.

On the positive side, I am grateful the court offered me the opportunity to attend a course and reduce my driving ban.

Having attended courses of a similar kind (for work-related study) I wondered if the 18-hour duration is really necessary. From what I have experienced from study modules and learnt from reading this forum topic, it sounds like the rehab course could be carried out in an 8-hour day rather than 18. The explanation of facts and figures can be explained effectively in a short space of time by a good quality lecturer. To bulk out the time, unnecessary features are generally added such as overly long and numerous lunch breaks, discussions that go off on a tangent, delays between subjects, group discussions and repetitive overviews of what has already been talked about.

I guess the course planners spread it out over such a long period to cause extra inconvenience to the participants (and please the courts) not to mention justify the expensive course fee. After all, how would they explain charging £175 for just one 8-hour day?

Overall, having not attended the course yet, I cannot prejudge but I anticipate learning something and reducing my driving ban. Now to go and post my cheque...
    Hi Andy,
    dont know if you have finished

the course yet,how did you get on.
    Passenger.

Malamute_dude is offline New Member

Hi all,

I received my ban in January for 20months. I was sentenced in Norfolk and live in Oxfordshire because of my job. I received all the information regarding my driver's rehabilitation course through DriveWise. The nearest venue to me is in Greater London, over an hour away. However, from using the venue searcher on this webiste I have seen that there is another provider only 17mins away. Is there any way I can change providers? Any help on the would be much appreciated.

Brad.

William00 is offline New Member

Thumbs up Re: The Drink Driving Rehabilitation Course

i am facing DWI charges after allegedly showing up drunk to drive with my daughter home from school.so i need to join in The Drink Driving Rehabilitation Course i want to do it

peter4832 is offline New Member

Hi everyone,

Really hope someone can help here - and give me some hope!

I was convicted last February (2010) or drink driving, and was given the option to go on the rehab course, which would mean my ban would be reduced from 28 to 21 months and I'd be entitled to get my license back in November this year (2011). I was told at the court that the course provider would get in touch with me close to this date, as I had to do the course close to the end of my ban (today I've been reading all the info on this site and can't find anything about that, but actually it's the other way round... I guess I could have misheard but I don't think I did).

With November approaching, I hadn't heard anything from the course provider or from the court, or DVLA. So I got out all my paperwork and found that I actually had to complete the course by last week. I had no idea this deadline existed until today, I know it's also my fault because I should have read the paperwork more carefully at the beginning of the ban, but I was also surprised not to hear anything from course/court. I informed the court that I had been stopped, and therefore convicted, in an area that wasn't close to where i lived so I would prefer to do the course close to home, and they told me I had to wait for the original course info to come through before asking to change to another provider...

I'm absolutely gutted now, I have heard nothing but good things about the course, and obviously wanted the benefits of the reduced ban. I've spent all day trying to get through to the Magistrates Court but with no success, so thought I'd post here to see if anyone has any advice - does anyone think it will still be possible for me to do the course? Also, even if I've missed the deadline and can't qualify for the reduction, is there still a chance I can do the course after, in order to gain all the information, and help me with my insurance/high risk status?

Will keep trying to get through to the Court, but thanks for any help you can give....

new_pedestrian is offline Established Member

Convicted Driver Insurance Quotes
    It sounds like a few doses of bad luck have conspired against you there. All I can suggest is that you try to find a local course provider, see when they have spaces on their course, and then contact the court and tell them that you have the space sorted if they will accept it.

The worst they can say is, "No," but here's hoping they give you a break.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast