Convicted Driver Insurance Quotes
OR
Call Convicted Driver Insurance Quote Line

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Review of the Rehabilitation Course

Tex
    Tex is offline Member

Default Re: Review of the Rehabilitation Course

I am quite amased that some people are saying the course is great !!

I guess it comes down to the instructor/teacher but I have done day 1 of the 3 day course and quite honestly I feel like I am being persecuted! I have been given a drink diary to keep so it means I am basically a suspected alcoholic and apparently because of some of things I have said I am not "taking responsibility" for what I did!...

I'll do it for the 3 months off my 12 month ban but that is about it. It is just another punishment with a fine.

I recommend possibly doing it towards the end of your ban as I was only banned 6 weeks ago and it is still a little fresh in my mind i.e. I want to forget about it and move on but the course isn't helping !

At the end of this I may find out I am actually an alcoholic criminal, at least that is what they seem to be trying to convince me I am.

new_pedestrian is offline Established Member

My course in November will be almost half way through my 13-month ban, and I'm looking forward to having got it out of the way and knowing for sure that my ban reduction is in place. I wish I'd got to do mine at the start of my ban rather than waiting for it, although the upside has been that I've had plenty of time to pay for it.

signman is offline Established Member

the post below is from one i posted back in May.......thought it might help on this thread.

On the whole so far i`m finding it quite informative in regard to what drinks have what units etc.. and how long it takes for the body to eliminate those units.

BUT....when the guy leading the course started it by saying that he was an ex-cop and he was also guilty of drink driving whilst a serving officer but had never been caught...i didn`t know wether to laugh or call him a hypocritical ****!

my course is half full with people who seem genuinley remorseful and the other half with people who think having a couple of cans of stella in the morning is the only way to make their head "straight". Imbeciles.

i don`t like the course tutor because hes always to busy trying to get you to interact with other people rather than just doing what he`s there for which is to give us facts and figures so we can learn from our mistake. Why on earth would i want to share details about me with common as muck imbeciles that are on my course??

The course, i believe, has the potential to be good and prevent serious people from re-offending but also is just a way for others to brag how much they can drink before collapsing in a coma.

Some of the scrotes didn`t even now what date they had been charged or what reading they gave............in my opinion they just didn`t care.

Doggy is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tex View Post
    I am quite amased that some people are saying the course is great !!
    It surprised me too. Makes me wonder how they can allow for courses to vary so much!

I guess it comes down to the instructor/teacher but I have done day 1 of the 3 day course and quite honestly I feel like I am being persecuted! I have been given a drink diary to keep so it means I am basically a suspected alcoholic and apparently because of some of things I have said I am not "taking responsibility" for what I did!...
    I agree the drink diary seems to be for identifying you as an alcoholic in front of the group. We were made to read out our totals and then questioned about the specifics of what we had drunk that week. I fail to see how this has any proactive benefits. WHICH IS WHY I recommend you tell the tutor that you have given up booze.

I recommend possibly doing it towards the end of your ban as I was only banned 6 weeks ago and it is still a little fresh in my mind i.e. I want to forget about it and move on but the course isn't helping !
    On the flip side to this is, after 6/9 months since the ban, would you really want to bring up all those bad memories? I guess we are all different. All I know is now that I am about a week away from getting my licence back, I'm glad I did it earlier.

At the end of this I may find out I am actually an alcoholic criminal, at least that is what they seem to be trying to convince me I am.
    Haha! People who haven't done the course yet won't realise how right you are Tex.

Good luck with the remaining sessions Tex. I wish I could say it gets better. No clock watching!!!!!

Tex
    Tex is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doggy View Post
    WHICH IS WHY I recommend you tell the tutor that you have given up booze.
    I wouldn't do that cos some of the more hardcore looking drinker type guys went for that option and the course leader person was like "Okay, so write down what you used to drink when you were drinking please!". I learnt the best thing to do is just write down "normal" drinking figures. Thursday - 2 pints normal beer with a mate at my local - 4 units, Saturday - leaving do 3 pints with mates - 6 units. 10 units for the week done and dusted and the lecturer can't argue with you. So you look kinda good that you are participating so no friction there and your don't look too boozy!

On the flip side to this is, after 6/9 months since the ban, would you really want to bring up all those bad memories? I guess we are all different. All I know is now that I am about a week away from getting my licence back, I'm glad I did it earlier.
    Yeah, you have a point there but I guess this whole thing has been a little hard on me, me missus etc... after each one of these "rehab" days I find myself still pissed off about the whole thing. Nothing one can do I guess...

Good luck with the remaining sessions Tex. I wish I could say it gets better. No clock watching!!!!!
    Well session 2 is done and dusted ! Strangely it wasn't as bad as session 1 probably because my spirit is broken and I have adopted the "yes sir, no sir" approach!

The interaction is a bit stupid as you are constantly forced to work in groups but we actually have an alright bunch of lads. Lots of laughter and the class hero is a guy who blew 132 or something crazy! I know it is supposed to be a serious thing but thankfully no one did kill anyone and I guess everyone makes a stupid mistake now and then. My "nicked on a white vespa" also tends to cause laughter ! A person really does constantly live and learn...

One more session to go.

catcha is offline New Member

I think it depends a lot on who is delvering the course. Although all providers are governed by DOE/DfT and so the content has to be the same, the way that a course is delivered and the personality of the trainer is key to its success.

I found the information really interesting in general but also saw that a lot of people found things out that were really important but that no-one - courts, solicitors, police etc had told them. For example, 2 people did not know they were in the HRO category which would have been a shock to them at the point of application. The HROs were given a copy of the medical forms which the doctor would use which gave them a bit of an insight and took some of the fear out of it.

I'm in NI and we have to resit the Driving Test here - several people were really shocked to find that out. Again, better knowing that in advance. Also, the practical attention to the Highway Code and driving rules were useful to us because of the need to redo the test.

Also, at no point were we told that we would definitely get a better insurance deal but that we may and the booklet we were given had details of about 6 insurers who may give a better quote.

So, hopefully you've read this far and not given up after the negative responses at the start.

I did my first day of the three-day course on Saturday. I'll wait until I've finished the whole course before posting my review, but to begin with I'll just say that so far it's not as bad as I thought it might be. I hope my opinion doesn't change too much over the next couple of weeks.

As promised, here are my thoughts on the Drink Drive Rehab course, which I finished on Saturday.

I was very lucky compared to others I’ve read here, because a course runs in my home town about 25 minutes walk from my front door. It was also run on Saturdays so I didn't have to miss any time from work. The facilities at the place they use are good and the course was delivered in a modern room in which about 10 of us were sitting around a large table.

We had a mixed group of people from different walks of life and with different views on various things from politics to drink driving itself. About half men and half women. Overall they were a pleasant bunch and by the end of the three days a lot of us were very chatty and having a bit of a laugh when time allowed.

The course was given by a charity who also run courses for alcoholics, and there was a lot of emphasis on the medical side of what alcohol does once it’s in our bodies. This was pretty interesting stuff and dispelled a few popular myths, as well as introducing the idea of units, how long alcohol affects a person for and how you can calculate how many units are in any given drink. All handy stuff to know especially with the risk of being caught for drink driving the morning after drinking.

I would have to say though that there were times, especially in the first couple of weeks, where it felt like we were being treated as alcoholics. We were shown excerpts from BBC documentaries about binge drinking, including the standard footage of Saturday night in a town centre with fights, people falling over and young women behaving in an unladylike fashion through drink.

It felt like this stuff was in the course as filler. To be fair, the guy did keep stressing that this wasn’t a “stop drinking course” and that he enjoyed a drink himself. He also mentioned a few times that the content of the course is set out by the Department of Transport and that nobody was trying to say we had a drink problem. But those who have already been through the course may recognise the feeling that one is being treated as a dependent drinker rather than someone who made a mistake.

The final day was a bit harrowing. The standard response I got from people when I told them that I was going on this course was that “they’ll show you pictures of car crash victims to frighten you”. I thought that sounded silly but I was wrong. They did show us some very graphic and disturbing photos, mainly of non-drink drivers who had been in an accident with a drink driver. Real horror film stuff, all the more disturbing because it’s real.

Our course was given by an ex-fireman, and there were one or two fire safety bits in the course which felt like they were his personal additions. A video of a Christmas tree burning because of an electrical fire seemed an odd feature of a course on drink driving, but there were only a couple of elements like this and I suppose it could be argued that fire safety is something that goes to pot when people are drunk.

We did have drink diaries to complete, but the tutor never looked at them and we kept them at the end of the course. The purpose of these diaries is to demonstrate that you know how to calculate units and how long it takes until the alcohol is out of your system. It's in no way any kind of monitor. In fact the tutor told us that if we didn't drink anything all week, we should still make up three examples just to show that we can do the calculations.

On the whole I quite enjoyed the course, feel like I got some interesting information out of it, and am glad that I was offered it by the magistrates. Of course, one of the main reasons for taking the course in the first place is to get back behind the wheel sooner, and it feels good that I can relax in the knowledge that my ban reduction is in place.

jean is offline New Member

Smile Re: Review of the Rehabilitation Course

Quote Originally Posted by catcha View Post
    I think it depends a lot on who is delvering the course. Although all providers are governed by DOE/DfT and so the content has to be the same, the way that a course is delivered and the personality of the trainer is key to its success.

I found the information really interesting in general but also saw that a lot of people found things out that were really important but that no-one - courts, solicitors, police etc had told them. For example, 2 people did not know they were in the HRO category which would have been a shock to them at the point of application. The HROs were given a copy of the medical forms which the doctor would use which gave them a bit of an insight and took some of the fear out of it.

I'm in NI and we have to resit the Driving Test here - several people were really shocked to find that out. Again, better knowing that in advance. Also, the practical attention to the Highway Code and driving rules were useful to us because of the need to redo the test.

Also, at no point were we told that we would definitely get a better insurance deal but that we may and the booklet we were given had details of about 6 insurers who may give a better quote.

So, hopefully you've read this far and not given up after the negative responses at the start.
    Hi very interesting post do you have the names of the 6 insurers that you were given that apparently could give one a better quote than anyone else.Want to check them out,as I am still considering doing the course.£195 to get my licence back in November rather than March.Can't afford a car in November anyway but am willing to do the course if i can see that my insurance won't be a s high. Thanks

Convicted Driver Insurance Quotes
    The course itself I found quite enjoyable, this is mainly down to the course Administrators, they made me feel welcomed and are very non-judgemental.

Nothing is perfect though their is one person on the course that loves the sound of his voice and does not allow anyone to speak... a couple of us have formed a pact and share the same views.

The course is quite fun, with some quizzes to do, group work such as discussing the magistrates sentencing for different drink drive cases, it's very much open discussion with the group and time goes by very fast if you just join in and say your piece.

My final day is tomorrow the 16th December where we have to fill out our storyboard to the events leading to being arrested... this bit is a little harrowing as I don't really want to discuss my plight with strangers, however it must be done so would do my best to get through it without looking like a twonk.

After that, I think it's plain sailing... let me know if you would like me to post what the final day is like?

Overall it's down to the administrators you get; I have been lucky that we have had quite a good bunch of lad's and two ladies, but mainly it is down to the administrators that create a good up lifting atmosphere. The exception being of one person that wants to be the center of attention and talk for Britain.

Anyway only one day left and it's finished...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast