Compare SR22 Auto Insurance Rates and Save $$$'s
SR22 Insurance Quotes

Thread: Connecticut DUI, 2nd dui in 2 different states

rpi
    rpi is offline Member

Default Connecticut DUI, 2nd dui in 2 different states

Follow Drinkdriving.org on:

Follow Drinkdriving.org on Facebook Follow Drinkdriving.org on Google+ Follow Drinkdriving.org on Twitter

Like our Facebook Page

I have a dui case pending in ny from an incident in January. I had a .17 and got into an accident where noone was injured. I have no prior criminal record at all and I am 46 years old. I received an offer of 6 months license suspension, $500 fine, about 12 weeks of counseling, no jail time or probation. I plan on accepting April 29th. Unfortunately I received another dui yesterday March 18th in Connecticut. .158 no accident, police officer said I was failing to keep in lane and he pulled me over. I was about a 1/2 mile from home. I am a Connecticut resident. I have contacted my lawyer from the NY case and am waiting to hear from him. He does not have experience with CT law. I also must mention that I am a gastric bypass patient and I feel the effects of alcohol very quickly. I only had 2 drinks last night (normal size), but I told the officers I had only one. Obviously I should not be drinking at all. The first offense I had 5 drinks in a span of about 5 hours and I blacked out at the wheel and was fortunate enough not to hurt or kill anyone.

What should I expect? I read that a second offense in Connecticut comes with a mandatory 120 days in jail. But one offense was in NY and CT does not know about that one yet and vice versa. I also must mention that I am a courier and use my car for work. Please I would welcome any replies. I know I have a drinking problem and I am already seeking help for it.
    Last edited by Forum Moderator; 03-19-2010 at 02:05 PM.

DrunkDrivingAdvice is offline Global Moderator

Default Re: Connecticut DUI, 2nd dui in 2 different states

Quote Originally Posted by rpi View Post
    I have a dui case pending in ny from an incident in January. I had a .17 and got into an accident where noone was injured. I have no prior criminal record at all and I am 46 years old. I received an offer of 6 months license suspension, $500 fine, about 12 weeks of counseling, no jail time or probation. I plan on accepting April 29th. Unfortunately I received another dui yesterday March 18th in Connecticut. .158 no accident, police officer said I was failing to keep in lane and he pulled me over. I was about a 1/2 mile from home. I am a Connecticut resident. I have contacted my lawyer from the NY case and am waiting to hear from him. He does not have experience with CT law. I also must mention that I am a gastric bypass patient and I feel the effects of alcohol very quickly. I only had 2 drinks last night (normal size), but I told the officers I had only one. Obviously I should not be drinking at all. The first offense I had 5 drinks in a span of about 5 hours and I blacked out at the wheel and was fortunate enough not to hurt or kill anyone.

What should I expect? I read that a second offense in Connecticut comes with a mandatory 120 days in jail. But one offense was in NY and CT does not know about that one yet and vice versa. I also must mention that I am a courier and use my car for work. Please I would welcome any replies. I know I have a drinking problem and I am already seeking help for it.
    Both Connecticut and New York are members of the Interstate Drivers License Compact, so theoretically information on your first DUI in New York will be available in Connecticut. Obviously the information about your first DUI has not yet been made available in Connecticut. You should seek advice from a Connecticut DUI Lawyer on this matter.

The penalty for a second DUI - drunk driving conviction in Connecticut:

Second DUI - Drunk Driving Conviction - MISDEMEANOR

Criminal penalties:

$1,000 to $4,000 fine
    up to 2 years in jail (120 days minimum mandatory)
    100 hours mandatory community service
    vehicle impounded for 48 hours
    1 year drivers license suspension (followed by 24 months with an ignition interlock restriction) [if driver under 21 the suspension will be 3 years or until driver reaches 21, whichever is longer]
    SR22 insurance requirement
    In addition to the criminal sanctions above, the DMV will suspend/revoke a drivers license for the following time periods:

Drivers 21 years and older: 9 months drivers license suspension
    [0.16 BAC or higher will result in a 10 months drivers license suspension]

Drivers aged 18 - 20: 18 months drivers license suspension
    [0.16 BAC or higher will result in a 20 months drivers license suspension]

Drivers aged 16 - 17: 2 years drivers license suspension
    [0.16 BAC or higher will result in a 30 months drivers license suspension]
    Last edited by DrunkDrivingAdvice; 03-19-2010 at 02:25 PM.
    Regards
    Forum Moderator

UK - UK Drink Driving Laws | Drink Driving Solicitors | Convicted Drivers Insurance | BAC Calculator | FREE Legal Advice

U.S. - US DUI Drunk Driving Laws | US DUI Lawyers & Attorneys | SR22 Auto Insurance | BAC Calculator | FREE Lawyer Consultation

International - Worldwide BAC Limits Maximum legal prescribed blood alcohol content limits for over 250 countries & jurisdictions

rpi
    rpi is offline Member

I just spoke to my lawyer from the NY case and he thinks, because of the timing, he might be able to get me two 1rst offenses. Which sounds pretty odd. He doesn't have much experience dealing with CT DUI law issues. So I am wondering if I should retain a lawyer with more CT experience or keep him since there is a comfort level between us and he is familiar with the first case.

DrunkDrivingAdvice is offline Global Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rpi View Post
    I just spoke to my lawyer from the NY case and he thinks, because of the timing, he might be able to get me two 1rst offenses. Which sounds pretty odd. He doesn't have much experience dealing with CT DUI law issues. So I am wondering if I should retain a lawyer with more CT experience or keep him since there is a comfort level between us and he is familiar with the first case.
    I would certainly suggest getting a second opinion from a lawyer with more experience of Connecticut DUI laws if nothing else, many offer free initial consultations.
    Regards
    Forum Moderator

UK - UK Drink Driving Laws | Drink Driving Solicitors | Convicted Drivers Insurance | BAC Calculator | FREE Legal Advice

U.S. - US DUI Drunk Driving Laws | US DUI Lawyers & Attorneys | SR22 Auto Insurance | BAC Calculator | FREE Lawyer Consultation

International - Worldwide BAC Limits Maximum legal prescribed blood alcohol content limits for over 250 countries & jurisdictions

rpi
    rpi is offline Member

Convicted Driver Insurance Quotes
    I spoke to one and she is pretty confident that it will go as two 1rst offenses, since I technically have no convictions right now. If the two cases can be decided on or about the same day, then neither will know about the other conviction until after the fact. My court issues would be over, but CT DMV will get wind of it and I will be labeled as a two time offender in their eyes, but there shouldn't be any jail time. That would certainly be in my favor.

Does that make any sense?