Drink driving charge

Convicted Driver Insurance

Lewis

Hi,

I got caught drink driving on Saturday night and blew 75. Is there a guideline courts use with regards to the amount over the limit and length of ban, fine etc. And will the courts take in to account that I have to drive for my job and to see my kids. It's my first offence so hoping they take that into consideration too.

Yes the Magistrates have a set of sentencing guidelines which are largely based upon your alcohol reading. With a breath sample of 75 they are looking to impose a 17-22 month disqualification and a Band C, means tested fine. This means that the fine will be based on your income, and take into consideration your outgoing expenses.

As this is your first offence you are also likely to be offered the drink drive rehabilitation course, which will reduce the length of disqualification by up to 25%. Mitigation can also be put forward to help keep any sentence down to a minimum, this can include things such as your reliance on your licence for work and any personal reasons, such as visiting your children. However I'm afraid that this will not be sufficient to avoid a disqualification as this is mandatory if you are simply pleading guilty to the charge.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I knew a ban would definitely happen, just trying to see what I could do to try and reduce the length of it. I'm not going to get a solicitor but would I be able to write a personal statement to read out in court about the impacts that will happen with having a ban? Also, would having some character references help in any way? My employer has already said he would write one, just wondering if having a couple would be a good idea?

Yes having character references with you can always be of benefit to your mitigation. I would not suggest however, preparing a statement for yourself and simply reading this to the Court. It is better to speak to the Magistrates directly, using some bullet point notes for reference to make sure that you address all of the relevant points. This is not to say that you cannot read a pre-prepared statement to the Court, however I believe speaking directly to them is the better option.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off