re applying for license 11 years after my ban

Convicted Driver Insurance

rage

hello i hope you can be of help, i was banned for 12 months in 2005 for drink driving offence, NOT in the higher risk catagory, i completed my rehabilitation course in february 2006, my ban was finished in 2006 as well i think about may.....after my course i did not re apply for my license due to my circumstances at the time, but now 11 years later i need my license bck due to a new job....i recently got the D1 form from the post office and im confused, so my question is do i apply for my license as just simply a renewal because its been 11 years since my ban as my conviction is spent? or do i have to declare it on the form?....also i do not remember the exact dates of my conviction to put on the form?...its worrying because i dont know what they would ask for as i dont have any paper work to present to DVLA....i hope you can advise me on this and i would be ever so great full .....many kind regards rage

When you are disqualified from driving for more than 56 days your licence is automatically revoked. The application process after a drink driving ban where you are not a high risk offender (as in your case) should simply be a paper exercise. You can use the D1 form to renew your licence but you must answer any questions accurately. A previous drink driving conviction where you were NOT categorised as a high risk offender should not stop you from simply obtaining a licence back through a paper exercise. They are unlikely to consider any medical issues or otherwise unless that has been alerted to the DVLA previously.

Hello Sean thank you for your reply. So when on the D1 form it asks how am I applying should I simply tick the renewal box or the box where it says applying after a drink driving offence, this is where I don't know what to do as it's been 11 years since my ban was up...so was wondering will it be just a simple renewal? Also it asks for the dates of the offence and the court I only remember the latter which was Retford. I really appreciate your time in replying back to me...many thanks regards rages

You will need to answer the form giving the most accurate description of why you are applying and in your case that is after a disqualification. If the form asks for specific dates and details of that conviction and you cannot complete that then I would advise contacting the DVLA to get an idea on how to proceed in your circumstances. The DVLA application process is best discussed directly with the DVLA to ensure that there are no delays. The fact that you are applying after a disqualification should not impact on the application given that you were not categorised as a high risk offender.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off