drink driving ban for 3 years and medical due soon which worries me

Convicted Driver Insurance

bullit13

hi

i am currently banned from driving for 3 years for drink driving and the disqualification is meant to be up on dec 5th this year. basically ive started to read into this and due to the fact i have a medical coming up and the fact they access my gp records i am worried that because it is noted on my records i am a binge drinker ( tho may i state not often ) and also that i have used cocaine quite frequent over a short period of time in december/jan this year and also i have a long term history of cannibis use which now i have managed to knock it all on the head permanently i want to know where i stand in going for my medical?
i have read that once there is multiple substance misuse or dependency they dont include me in on the compatible or fitness to drive again?
i have looked for information as to how long this goes on if its not indefinete to see what is on offer for me as i didnt really reaise the concequences of explaining to my doctor that this would bring as its recorded.
i have managed to work for myself this last 3 years but i feel my business will just collapse if i can no longer see an end to this so amy advice or information would be very much appreciated.
thanks

Given the length of your ban you are automatically categorised as a high risk offender and the DVLA should automatically invite you to start the medical process around 90 days before your ban expires.

In your situation it is useful to look at this in relation to the separate issues:

1. Where there is evidence of alcohol misuse the DVLA will request that there is evidence of a normalisation in your blood parameters for a sustained 6 month period before reapplication;
2. Where there is evidence of misuse of cocaine the DVLA will request that there is evidence of 12 months which are free of misuse or dependence before reapplication; and
3. Where there is evidence of dependency on cannabis the DVLA will require evidence of 12 months which are free of misuse or dependence before considering any application.

Given your problems, it may be that the DVLA will not consider any application until 12 months after any documented dependency on cannabis (that appearing to be the most recent issue). I would suggest engaged proactively with your GP between now and reapplication to have regular testing to show normalisation of blood parameters in relation to alcohol use and drug use. That will give you the best possible chance of ensuring you get your licence back as soon as the guidelines allow.

hi again, sorry i meant to ask as i am aware that the last recorded abstinence is in january and obviously my medical will come around well before the 12 month free from misuse/dependency would be what would happen or what normally happens if i choose not to go for the medical when they send me the letter for it? its pretty obviuos i wont be accepted or pass then so it would be a waste of time and money but again i am curious as to how they look at the fact i havent got in contact for the medical or applied for it as when i eventually do ( which will be january 2018 or there abouts ) will they question it as obv they will see from medical records that i have probably researched this hence the reason i have held off until then? i still plan to get blood tests etc done asap but just very curious as to how they look at this type of situation?

thanks

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off