Early return of license

Convicted Driver Insurance

Medicine Man

Well Known Member
Hi there,

I've been a regular viewer of this forum for the past 2 years and have gathered a lot of useful information for my own case.

Back in 2015, I was disqualified for 42 months for driving with excess alcohol - I seem to remember that I blew 104.

2 years of my ban was up a few days ago and I am now in a position to apply for an early removal of disqualification.

I am well versed on section 42 and understand that solid reasons for return are needed as well as good conduct since the original offence. Without wanting to give out personal details over a public forum, I would be willing to discuss this further.

My question would be this; I am aiming to go this alone without legal help as I have a good understanding of the position that I am in as well as some of the things that I need to prepare prior to my hearing. What is the sort of timescale that I am looking at from applying for an initial hearing to getting a medical should I be successful?

If your application is successful it can lead to different outcomes which will affect the answer to your question. The court can decide to remove the disqualification with immediate effect or they could decided that your ban will be removed at a later date but prior to the original expiration date. The medical process can take several weeks if not months. Where your ban is due to conclude and you are considered to be a 'high risk' offender the DVLA will ordinarily send you an application pack 90 days prior to your ban ending. This is with a view to getting your licence back in time for your ban to expire. Taking that timescale into account you can assume that the DVLA try to work on the basis that you will have gone through that process and, pending it being a success, will have your licence back around 90 days after application.

There are no definitive guidelines in relation to timescale and the process could take less time or more depending on your circumstances. If you get the matter listed in the next few weeks and are successful in having your licence automatically reinstated you can apply straight away but, pending successful medical process, can expect around 90 days before you have your licence reinstated.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off