No dea what to do

Convicted Driver Insurance

Mumisworried

My son is 18 and only been driving for 6 months. Arrested yesterday for drink driving. Roadside breath test was 115. He has a court date for 20th July. I don't know what to do next. Does he need a solicitor? Will he get legal aid? What can we do to help him? He's only just finished his A levels and still loves at home.

He does not need to have legal representation as many people attend and deal with hearings in person. Given his circumstances I would certainly recommend he does have some representation or at least obtain some initial advice regarding the best approach to the hearing. The likely penalty will be a disqualification of between 23 and 28 months together with a community order. A ban in the first two years of driving does not have the same effect as having 6 penalty points imposed. The main factor when considering the ban will be the reading produced but there are other factors to consider. On the face of it, he will be unlikely to be eligible for Legal Aid as his reading is not high enough to put him in the bracket where he would be a risk of having a prison sentence imposed. It is likely he would have to pay privately.

Thank you. Would it be a good idea to take him to the GP re alcohol use and also get some character references from his school, part-time job etc. I know he will get a ban and community sentence but I just want to do everything I can to help him. We can't afford to pay for a solicitor.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off