urine sample? where is it?

Convicted Driver Insurance

babybear

i was arrested for being (evidently) over the limit. the police car that stopped me did not have a breathalyser so they took me to a police station where the analyser wasnt working ( although they breathalysed someone after me). they took urine samples at about a half hour interval. the first was thrown away and the second was split in two by the arresting officer. he advised that one was for me but when i was released in the morning no mention was made of this. what happens to the second sample?
thanks in advance.

i was arrested for being (evidently) over the limit. the police car that stopped me did not have a breathalyser so they took me to a police station where the analyser wasnt working ( although they breathalysed someone after me). they took urine samples at about a half hour interval. the first was thrown away and the second was split in two by the arresting officer. he advised that one was for me but when i was released in the morning no mention was made of this. what happens to the second sample?
further to this i have read that there is a difference between a section 4 and 5 in that under a section 5 you can only be prosecuted due to samples being over the limit. if someone else has been breathalysed using the same machine is it worth asking for the tapes to determine if i could not usethe breathalyser due to officer error?

Last edited by a moderator:
From what you have described it appears that the police have followed the required procedure in taking the urine sample. As to whether or not they should have used the breathalyser if it was working shortly afterwards, it may be that, for example, a technician arrived and fixed it. If at the time the requirement is made for you to provide the breath samples, the intoximeter was not working, then the police are entitled to request an alternative sample of either blood or urine.

With regards to the second sample, the police should tell you that you are entitled to have the sample but it is then your responsibility to actively request that you are provided with the sample. If you did not do so then the police are not obligated to remind you about it, if you would still like to have your own sample independently analysed then I would advise that you call the police station to ensure that they have not now disposed of it and if not then you can go and collect it from the station.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off