DVLA HRO Medical error

Convicted Driver Insurance

dougz50

Hi

The DVLA has made an error with high risk offenders and sent them out their licences without requesting them to have a medical. I am one on these drivers and I have had my licence back for 15 months.

A letter arrived yesterday telling me about the error and that I must have a medical....if I do not roly within 21 days....my licence is revoked....if I fail this medical my licence will be revoked for 6 months. On top of this I have to pay £96 + vat for the medical at a time of year where money is very tight.

This all seems very unfair as it was their error, I have been driving unblemished for 15 months now...can they legally make me have a medical now and since it is their mistake should they be able to ban me if I fail the medical and surely they should pay for the medical as it is their mistake?

legally do I have any options to challenge this? I only have 21 days to reply though.

any advice would be great fully received.

I have heard of similar stories. I can't see how you can challenge this. You haven't been prejudiced at all and are in worse a position as a result of the mistake. If you fall within the high risk offender scheme you have to pass a medical before getting your licence back. I can't see you being able to persuade the DVLA to pay for it or to waive the medical, although there is no harm in asking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off