Had license revoked 16 years ago, have to retake my test. Found asleep in car.

Convicted Driver Insurance

plecky

Lost my license 16 years ago, found asleep by polioce in my car. I was drunk. I need my car now for a new job, can i just retake my test as normal or will the require blood tests, medicals etc. I hate needles and that sort of thing. By the way I drink very rarely now and never before driving with L plates, and my wife in the car with me, on my provisional license, of course.

Any advice much appreciated, as this is really worrying me.:)

Could you confirm whether you were disqualified until you passed your test or whether you were disqualified on a provisional driving licence.

Whether or not you have to take a medical will depend on whether the DVLA consider you to be a High Risk Offender.

What was your alcohol reading?

Many thanks for the reply Sean,

Prior to being disqualified I held a full clean UK driving license for anumber of years with no points or anything. A couple of years after the incident I applied for a provisional license as I intended taking my test again, at that time. I now drive everywhere with L plates and my wife in the car with me, as the Law prescribes. I learnt my lesson on that night and have regretted it ever since:(. I am now 48 and I desperately need to get this new job. I need to be independent, driving wise. I have a social drink on a Friday and Saturday night with my wife and some friends, I don't get drunk and I haven't any intention of driving even after one drink, as I have certainly learnt the hard way!! I just wondered whether I would have to put up with blood tests, etc as I have a great phobia of needles. If that is the case I don't think I'll ever take my test again. I am still prepared to retake my test again, as I consider myself to always be a conscientious and careful driver. I was never told my alcohol reading, I couldn't tell you what it was. I did have some unopened cans in the car with me though!

Many thanks for your help,:)

Alan

If you were not ordered to re-take your driving test you still hold a full driving licence. I cannot understand how and why you were issued a provisional licence with the DVLA.

You need to make enquiries with the DVLA in relation to this issue. However, if you were convicted of failing to provide a specimen for analysis, which is what you seem to be suggesting in your second post, then you are automatically a high risk offender. This means that you will need a DVLA medical and blood test before your licence is returned to you.

I had my license taken away at court, my solicitor said it shouldn't have happened, he said i should have only been disqualified for a specific period, but that is what happened, and yes I was told that I'd have to do a retest. I was breathalysed but I can't remember what the reading was. I applied for and was granted a provisional license so that I could take my test again, otherwise how could I retake it, without it? Surely the DVLA wouldn't have issued me with one if I was not entitled to it? How could i drive in my retest without a provisional license?

You are entitled to a provisional licence. As you say, you need this to take your test. You can only get a full licence on passing your retest.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off