confusion on urine test.

Convicted Driver Insurance

Drstrangelove13

Was taken in for DD yesterday. to keep shot. blew 43 on the evidential breath test. as it ws between 40-50 i was offred a blood or urine test..here is my problem

i was bursting for a pee.the officers knew that so decided to do a urine test. i was told in my rights i could take two samples "within an hour" however without being crude..i only peed into one cup and they split the samples into two! when i asked if i could pee again later within the hour for the second sample they laughed it off and said no.we have two now..surely this isnt correct procedure? i mean i provided only one specimen!

A urine sample is only a complete sample, for evidential purposes, if it is two separate samples, both provided within 1 hour of being requested. The two samples, in theory, could be one minute apart or they could be 59 minutes apart. However, they must be two separate samples, not the same sample split into two.

The first sample is discarded and the second sample is split into two, one being retained by the police and the other offered to you to take away from the police station to have independently analysed if you so choose.

You must be clear about whether you provided an initial sample, prior to the sample that was split into two. If you did, then I see no problem with the procedure. If you didn't then the sample that was split into two is in fact only one sample within the hour, in which case you have not provided a complete urine sample for analysis.

If you want to speak to someone in more detail then call our helpline on 08450020736.

Right

Was taken in. filled a first cup. bit fuller than it needed to be ( i was bursting). a second cup was then brought out. a bit from the first cup was poured in and the officer got me to top this up to the required mark. o hope this makes it clear

i filled one. a bit was poured from one into a sceond cup. and then i "topped up" this second cup.

This sounds highly irregular.
I would be interested to know if the Police Officer confirms that this is what he did in his statement. This should be available to you along with all the other evidence, when you appear at Court.

You should get legal advice about the procedure in this case. If the two cups you filled were the only sample taken from you then I don't beleive that they should have been mixed together.

If you want to discuss your case in more detail with one of our team we can advise you about your case and, if you require, arrange representation in court.

Please call us on 0845 0020736.

Thank you

Yes i thought that at the time.

I have been bailed till the 17th May. got to report to the police station where they will no doubt give me the results of said urine test. will i be able to get copies of statements/ urine analysis then? or will it wait till i have been charged and appear at court?

Yes i will no doubt give you a ring sometime this week! how much is a that likely to cost me. obvisuly defence at court may not be needed! . but id appreciate talking through what happend.

We provide free round the clock telephone advice via our 24 hour road traffic and road transport law helpline. Call us on 08450020736

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off